[NatureNS] White Point_abandoned swallow nest

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:57:04 -0300

Just a quick note to say we managed to get one of the swallow houses down
today and for some reason, the swallows did abandon 4 chicks that appear to
have been healthy. I remember one of the group of swallows that did a fly in
being very upset (it seriously did seem that way) about the nest and the
birds had been feeding the chicks which were cheeping loudly. First the male
moved off then a day or so later so did the female and the peeps lasted
another day growing fainter and fainter then stopped. We had a number of
very loud and snappy thunderstorms that week, including a blown transformer
behind the house so maybe they were frightened? I do not know.  The nest
beside the barn produced a number of young (more than I have seen here
before) but until Steve takes the house down so I can clean I won't know for
sure how many fledged. I think there were five on the wire while I was
planting the garden just below it and one was still staying in the house
doorway.
It was a very confused year for who was taking which house, many birds
claiming the same houses and I think maybe there were a couple nest
attempts.....all speculation of course.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens