[NatureNS] slugs and snails

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:06:55 -0400
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
CC: Aleta Karstad <karstad@pinicola.ca>,

On 8/22/2011 12:44 PM, Marg Millard wrote:

> I am getting a higher number of snails than I have ever noticed before
> and there seems to be a new (to me) shape to the shell with a goodly
> number of the ones I am seeing. I have a usual yellowy one with the
> rounded shells that climb the greenhouse walls and I see occasionally on
> the walk and even once in awhile on plants but this new one has a much
> more pointy shell and likes to climb a lot of the vines including the
> Honeysuckle as well as my peas. I noticed back in July one or two when I
> was planting a newly built raised bed but nothing that really to an
> attention getter. I have seen them as well as a couple varieties of
> slugs. I remember someone asking me to save any slugs/snails I found for
> them but I cannot remember who wanted them.

* that may have been us when we were in NS last summer. We'd still be
interested in receiving samples of shells of your ordinary (probably
Cepaea hortensis) and unknown snails, or photographs, or preserved or
living slugs.

You can get a free copy of "Identifying Land Snails and Slugs in Canada
– Introduced Species and Native Genera" from the Canadian Food
Inspection Agency by phoning the number given at
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/pestrava/escarge.shtml

If your vine-climbing pointed snails are as large as the Cepaea, I have
no idea what they might be.

fred schueler
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm