[NatureNS] Lepidoptera question: Big white underwing

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 22:44:24 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Jim, others...
We were on Brier Is this last weekend for whale watching and while
checking incidentally for bristletails on the rocks very close to
Western Light, I came across a surprisingly big white moth with dark
wavy patterns on the forewings, hindwings hidden, resting on a rock.
The length of one wing was ~30 mm.  I tried to pick it up to show
others but it flipped down out of reach between some rocks, while
flashing dark striped underwings at me.  I got no pictures, but based
on earlier familiarity with UK red underwings, it seemed likely to
have been a related species.  From the size and images on Bugguide.net
it seems pretty certain that it must have been a white underwing,
Catocala relicta.

None of the several images of it on Bugguide are from eastern Canada,
and I wondered if it was common here?  I've never seen one before, and
wondered if you or others here in NS were familiar with its
distribution?

Steve, Halifax