[NatureNS] Birding vs Fossil Fuel Consumption

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 18:44:16 -0400
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 10/15/2011 6:14 PM, Rob Woods wrote:
> Do birders destroy the environment more because of fossil fuel
> consumption than the environmentalism they tend to promote makes gains?

* I think the root of this question was the long-distance pursuit of
particular, usually already-documented, individual Birds by individual
observers, with the purpose of adding the Bird to a personal list of
species seen. This is a form of consumption of fossil fuel that doesn't
make any contribution to science or environmentalism, so if this were to
be deleted from the birder's behavioural repertoire (assuming no
decrease in time spent in the field observing Birds), there'd be a net
gain for the environment.

fred.

--

fred schueler