[NatureNS] Purple Sandpiper and Great Horned Owl

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 11:35:45 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_CWhDe17K3i3mVuXesHhudg)

I spotted a large brown bird on the rocks at Duncan's Cove this morning so I went to investigate. Rather than a hoped for juvenile Brown Booby it was a brown Great Cormorant but the walk was worth the effort. A clamoring of gulls alerted me to a Great Horned Owl nearby, perhaps only 15 metres distant. I was just raising my camera for a full frame photo when "whamo", a crow chopped it on the head and off it flew. I'm sure it will stay in the area so I'll try to call it out this afternoon.

A quick check of the rocks off Bull Point near Sambro revealed my first Purple Sandpiper of the season.

Hans
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_CWhDe17K3i3mVuXesHhudg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19154">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I spotted a large brown bird on the rocks at
Duncan's Cove this morning so I went to investigate. Rather than a hoped for
juvenile Brown Booby it was a brown <STRONG>Great Cormorant</STRONG> but the
walk was worth the effort. A clamoring of gulls alerted me to a <STRONG>Great
Horned Owl</STRONG> nearby, perhaps only 15 metres distant. I was just raising
my camera for a full frame photo when "whamo", a crow chopped it on the head and
off it flew. I'm sure it will stay in the area so I'll try to call it out this
afternoon.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>A quick check of the rocks off Bull Point near
Sambro revealed my first <STRONG>Purple Sandpiper</STRONG> of the
season.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_CWhDe17K3i3mVuXesHhudg)--