[NatureNS] Fundy gypsum

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 15:39:10 -0400

"&gt;=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Hi Stephen & All,                    Nov 17, 2011

    Shainberg et al., 1989 Use of gypsum on soils: a review. Pages 1-111 in
B.A.Stewart, ed. Adv.in Soils Sci. Vol 9, Springer-Verlag, N.Y. is a good
starting source. Gypsum is usually used either to supply calcium or improve
soil structure and drainage, especially of saline soils.

    Gypsum, as you suppose, does not act as a buffer. Depending upon soil
composition, soil physical properties and biotic factors, it variously
increases soil pH, decreases soil pH or has no effect. These effects can
sometimes be predicted in hindsight and are always small relative to rate.

    In one orchard trial, I applied a total of 6 kg/m^2 of gypsum to a 10
square metre area under each tree (60 kg/tree) over a period of 5 years and
this caused a small uniform decrease in pH throughout the profile sampled (7
levels, 0-100 cm; p<0.001); Control pH 5.84, Coarse Gypsum 5.57, Fine Gypsum
5.49 (Table 35, Webster, D.H., 1999, Tech. Pub. 99-02).

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville