[NatureNS] Homemade Suet Cake Recipes

Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 07:52:24 -0400
From: Jeff MacLeod <jeffnaturens@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--f46d04447f11d056fa04b3cfa6fd

I've used the "Zick dough" recipe, and the birds really seem to prefer it
over the store-bought suet (aside from one peanut butter suet dough I've
gotten at walmart in the USA). They go through the cakes (or crumbs) I put
out pretty quickly. You can see the recipe by following this link:
http://juliezickefoose.blogspot.com/2010/03/zick-dough-improved.html

I've used the "Old Zick Dough" recipe, but if you read that blog post
you'll see that there may be reason to use the newer recipe that includes
chick feed. I haven't had any birds that seemed to eat the suet
exclusively, as she had with bluebirds, so I don't think I'm risking the
birds' health. I rarely keep enough of it out consistently for the birds to
only eat the suet, and I certainly don't have any bluebirds.

The Old Zick Dough does harden enough to form into cakes and put in a suet
cage once it cools (easier when it is cold, not room temp). I forgot to add
flour in my last batch and that is a bit more crumbly.

I used to melt down real beef suet that I got from a butcher and add peanut
butter and seeds, but it really stinks up the house and is smokey. The zick
dough uses lard instead of beef suet, and makes the house smell like peanut
butter cookies. My wife certainly appreciates that more.

Jeff MacLeod

--
Jeff MacLeod
Halifax

--f46d04447f11d056fa04b3cfa6fd

seem to prefer it over the store-bought suet (aside from one peanut butter =
suet dough I&#39;ve gotten at walmart in the USA). They go through the cake=
s (or crumbs) I put out pretty quickly. You can see the recipe by following=
 this link:</div>
oved.html">http://juliezickefoose.blogspot.com/2010/03/zick-dough-improved.=
ot; recipe, but if you read that blog post you&#39;ll see that there may be=
 reason to use the newer recipe that includes chick feed. I haven&#39;t had=
 any birds that seemed to eat the suet exclusively, as she had with bluebir=
ds, so I don&#39;t think I&#39;m risking the birds&#39; health. I rarely ke=
ep enough of it out consistently for the birds to only eat the suet, and I =
certainly don&#39;t have any bluebirds.</div>
 cakes and put in a suet cage once it cools (easier when it is cold, not ro=
om temp). I forgot to add flour in my last batch and that is a bit more cru=
mbly.=A0</div>
m a butcher and add peanut butter and seeds, but it really stinks up the ho=
use and is smokey. The zick dough uses lard instead of beef suet, and makes=
 the house smell like peanut butter cookies. My wife certainly appreciates =
that more.=A0</div>
gmail_quote">On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 2:56 AM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:turtlevoice@ns.sympatico.ca">turtlevoice@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&a