[NatureNS] Fwd: Red Throated Loon rescued on Lake Champlain ice

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:49:01 -0400 (AST)
From: David Dermott <dermott@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

    A bit far from from Nova Scotia but I thought people
might be interested in this.

    Bob Dill and Phelps Holloway of the Vermont Nordicskater group
rescued a Red  Throated Loon from the ice of Lake Champlain
north of Burlington, Vermont Jan 25 2012

   copied from:

> Phelps and I skated off Sandbar State Park this afternoon.  As we
> came in Phelps spotted a bird on the ice. We came ashore for supplies
> and advice.  After several calls we talked to Carol Winfield, a
> wildlife reabilitator  in Westford who walked us through capture,
> transport and release.  We borrowed an extra car coat from a neighbor
> of Phelps' who happened by at just the right time and skated back out
> to the bird.  The capture was straight forward.  I walked it back in
> rather than skating to reduce the risk of falling.  A short drive
> took us to the bridge.  The rocks near the bridge were free of ice
> after the recent warm weather so getting to the water was
> reasonable.  I was able to place the bird  on some ice covered rocks
> at the waters edge,  remove the coat and give it a little nudge.  It
> dove immediately and repeatedly.  I will check tomorrow to verify
> that it has moved on.  It was my first and, I am sure, will be my
> closest encounter with a Red Throated Loon.  (Link to pictures and a
> video below)
> Bob
> You are invited to view Bob's photo album,
> Red Throated Loon Rescue 1-25-2012:

  (a very long link abbreviated):
    http://tinyurl.com/7wdx8ny