[NatureNS] Little Blue Heron, Miner's Marsh Kentville

Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 22:15:23 -0300
From: g4syth@staff.ednet.ns.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I also saw the little blue heron today at about 5:30 p.m. It was on
the island and Roger Evans was photographing the bird. After he left I
watched a bit longer and it flew onto the path about thirty feet away,
it walked back toward the water's edge and immediately caught a
spotted frog (leopard?), the heron then flew back to the island and I
watched as it took close to five minutes to consume the frog. I still
can't believe that it swallowed the frog whole. The frog was dipped
into the water and then moved around in its beak repeatedly, I think
it was trying to get the head pointed toward its throat. Was the
dipping of the frog to lubricate, or wash something off?

This is the first little blue heron that I have ever seen.

As well there was a pair of ducks, the hen was mallard and the drake
was gadwall. They fed together, loafed together and then flew off to
the east together. It would be interesting if they mate and hybrid
ducklings result.

An interesting walk after work!

George Forsyth