[NatureNS] 12 Chimney Swifts in Oxford

From: Ally Manthorne <amanthorne@bsc-eoc.org>
To: "'naturens@chebucto.ns.ca'" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 09:50:24 -0400

Thanks Judy, Jim and Jeff for posting your swift counts.

I did my first count in Oxford on May 23 and counted 3 entering the large, freestanding chimney by the river. However, a total of 6 swifts flew overhead at one point.

Last night, Julie Paquet conducted the Oxford swift count. She observed 12 swifts overhead, but only one entered. We are left thinking that there is another roost chimney in use in the town. If anyone is in Oxford during the evening, please keep your ears and eyes out for Chimney Swifts overhead. We will be heading down there one night next week with some of our summer students, posting people at various points in the town to try to solve this mystery.

Cheers,

Ally

Allison Manthorne
Coordinator  | Coordonnatrice
Maritimes SwiftWatch | Suivi du Martinet dans les Maritimes
Bird Studies Canada  | Études d'Oiseaux Canada
PO Box | C. P. 6227
17 Waterfowl Lane  |  17 ruelle Waterfowl
Sackville, NB (Nouveau-Brunswick)  E4L 1G6
Phone | Tel : 506-364-5196 | marswifts@birdscanada.org
http://www.birdscanada.org/volunteer/acswifts/