[NatureNS] Northern Flicker and nesting

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 14:41:15 +0000

--_b0013129-d822-44e1-a184-4738b905b586_

Hi all:
=20
This will be a question for those with expertise on the northern flicker.  =
I found a northern flicker nest during the North American Migration Count=
=2C where both adults were entering the site and I would assume preparing f=
or nesting.  I did a follow-up and observed activity by the male which is s=
omewhat puzzling to me.  I referred to Nests=2C Eggs=2C and Nestlings of No=
rth American and Birds Nests Peterson Field Guides=2C in hopes of maybe fin=
ding an answer to my question.  The activity that I observed was the male p=
erched just under the entrance hole.  He stayed there for 15 minutes withou=
t moving other than to preen and was still present when we left.  Does this=
 suggest that he is waiting and that egg laying is in progress?  Does it su=
ggest that she has not started laying yet?  What exactly does this mean in =
the scheme of things?  Has anyone else out there studied this or observed t=
his in the nesting process?  Any answers would be much appreciated. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater 		 	   		  =

--_b0013129-d822-44e1-a184-4738b905b586_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
This will be a question for those with expertise on the northern flicker.&n=
bsp=3B I found a northern flicker nest during the North American Migration =
Count=2C where both adults were entering the site and I would assume prepar=
ing for nesting.&nbsp=3B I did a follow-up and observed activity by the mal=
e which is somewhat puzzling to me.&nbsp=3B I referred to Nests=2C Eggs=2C =
and Nestlings of North American and Birds Nests Peterson Field Guides=2C in=
 hopes of maybe finding an answer to my question.&nbsp=3B The activity that=
 I observed was the male perched just under the entrance hole.&nbsp=3B He s=
tayed there for 15 minutes without moving other than to preen and was still=
 present when we left.&nbsp=3B Does this suggest that he is waiting and tha=
t egg laying is in progress?&nbsp=3B Does it suggest that she has not start=
ed laying yet?&nbsp=3B What exactly does this mean in the&nbsp=3Bscheme of =
things?&nbsp=3B Has anyone else out there studied this or observed this in =
the nesting process?&nbsp=3B Any answers would be much appreciated.&nbsp=3B=
 <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bridgewater<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_b0013129-d822-44e1-a184-4738b905b586_--