[NatureNS] BUY BACK THE MERSEY rally July 17

From: "Dusan Soudek" <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 08:00:34 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01CD6329.1422DB10

BUY BACK THE MERSEY RALLY
Hubley Community Hall
4408 St. Margaret's Bay Road
Tuesday, July 17th at 7pm.
Call 823-1404 for more info

Together we can save it!

Now that they have closed the Liverpool mill, current Bowater-Mersey =
owners Resolute Forest Products of=20
Quebec, Nova Scotia's single largest private land owner, wants to sell =
their entire 220,000 hectares of forest lands!=20
But to whom? To foreign interests who will clearcut ruthlessly and then =
chop up the remains for the highest=20
bidders? No way!! Nova Scotians are rallying - these lands are our =
birthright! For a hundred and fifty years large=20
corporations have made money off our forest. Now suddenly with pulp =
prices down, they are headed for=20
greener pastures. Well, their misfortune can be our gain. With grit and =
determination we can take back what was=20
always ours. Let's BUY BACK THE MERSEY!=20

If that land gets sold, Nova Scotians ask, can we still hunt back there? =
Can we fish? Can we access our camps?=20
Can we canoe, kayak, or run our ATVs? How about the incredible network =
of roads, trails, lakes, streams, and=20
portages some of which have been in use since before Columbus? How about =
the forest resource itself? Will=20
small mills and forest operators be able to manage the lands - =
generations of Nova Scotians have earned their=20
living back there. ANSWERS TO ALL THESE QUESTIONS: YOU BET!=20

A growing alliance of NGOs and passionate champions of these lands, the =
St. Margaret's Bay Back Country Coalition, the BBCC, with the land's =
fate clearly in the balance, has been hard at work poring over maps, =
preparing briefs and presentations, lobbying government, and building a =
case. Roughly the lands can be saved in thirds:
- SAVE 1/3 AS A PROTECTED AREA
- MANAGE THE REST AS A WORKING FOREST FOR, WITH, AND BY NOVA SCOTIANS
- USE ALL THE LANDS AS WE ALWAYS HAVE, FOR HUNTING, FISHING, AND =
RECREATION

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01CD6329.1422DB10

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DISO-8859-1" =
http-equiv=3Dcontent-type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff text=3D#000000>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><FONT size=3D+2><B>BUY BACK THE MERSEY =
RALLY</B><BR>Hubley=20
Community Hall<BR>4408 St. Margaret's Bay Road<BR>Tuesday, July 17th at=20
7pm.<BR>Call 823-1404 for more info<BR><BR><B>Together we can save=20
it!</B><BR></FONT><FONT size=3D+2><BR>Now that they have closed the =
Liverpool=20
mill, current Bowater-Mersey owners Resolute Forest Products of =
<BR>Quebec, Nova=20
Scotia=92s single largest private land owner, wants to sell their entire =
220,000=20
hectares of forest lands! <BR>But to whom? To foreign interests who will =

clearcut ruthlessly and then chop up the remains for the highest =
<BR>bidders? No=20
way!! Nova Scotians are rallying - these lands are our birthright! For a =
hundred=20
and fifty years large <BR>corporations have made money off our forest. =
Now=20
suddenly with pulp prices down, they are headed for <BR>greener =
pastures. Well,=20
their misfortune can be our gain. With grit and determination we can =
take back=20
what was <BR>always ours. Let=92s BUY BACK THE MERSEY! =
<BR><BR></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D+2>If that land gets sold, Nova Scotians ask, can we still hunt =
back there?=20
Can we fish? Can we access our camps? <BR>Can we canoe, kayak, or run =
our ATVs?=20
How about the incredible network of roads, trails, lakes, streams, and=20
<BR>portages some of which have been in use since before Columbus? How =
about the=20
forest resource itself? Will <BR>small mills and forest operators be =
able to=20
manage the lands - generations of Nova Scotians have earned their =
<BR>living=20
back there. ANSWERS TO ALL THESE QUESTIONS: YOU BET! <BR><BR>A growing =
alliance=20
of NGOs and passionate champions of these lands, the St. Margaret=92s =
Bay Back=20
Country Coalition, the BBCC, with the land=92s fate clearly in the =
balance, has=20
been hard at work poring over maps, preparing briefs and presentations, =
lobbying=20
government, and building a case. Roughly the lands can be saved in =
thirds:<BR>-=20
SAVE 1/3 AS A PROTECTED AREA<BR>- MANAGE THE REST AS A WORKING FOREST =
FOR, WITH,=20
AND BY NOVA SCOTIANS<BR>- USE ALL THE LANDS AS WE ALWAYS HAVE, FOR =
HUNTING,=20
FISHING, AND RECREATION<BR></FONT><BR></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0014_01CD6329.1422DB10--