[NatureNS] Freshwater Shortages and Bay of Fundy Tides

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 22:09:06 -0300

Hi Steve & All,                July 15, 2012
    I wouldn't care to suggest that I have the physics correct; just a very
crude first approximation of the effect of head gradients over distance. But
way more correct than the one you advance.

    Except for very simple artificial situations (assumptions that seldom
apply in practice) problems of liquid flow in porous media can not be solved
analytically and require computer modelling or field measurements. But flow
to any sink such as a well, tile drain or Gloosecap's buried garden hose,
from a phretic surface, will be at right angles to isopotential lines. I
recall this only in vague terms now but as distance from the sink increases
there is a dramatic increase in the length of flow paths and transit times.
    I tried to find a sample representation of pumped well steady-states but
keep getting run time errors (started about a week ago with Internet
Explorer.
Yt, DW, Kentville