[NatureNS] Feeder Protector behaviour

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 11:53:28 -0300
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------060908060406060002070000

I see this every summer at my feeder, with attendant decline in consumption!

Eieanor Lindsay
Seabright, St Margarets Bay

On 10/08/2012 10:30 AM, Larry at Bogan.ca wrote:
> All during the summer we had one family of hummingbirds, but then then in the last two weeks there has been an influx of hummers.
>
> Now I have three feeders up and for awhile there was heavy feeding with as many as seven or more hummers. They would share and feed together. There has been a change in the last week and each of the feeders has a 'defender' usually a male hummer. This bird will not let any other hummer feed at 'its' feeder. It sits in a nearby tree or bush and if another hummer approaches, dive bombs that bird away.
>
> At first I moved feeders around hoping to confuse the 'defender' but quickly a bird takes up station at that feeder. Despite the number of hummers being about the same, the feeding has declined dramatically.
>
> Has anyone else observed this seemingly, non-productive behaviour?
>
> Puzzled
> Larry

--------------060908060406060002070000

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      size="+1">, with attendant decline in consumption!<br>
      Eieanor Lindsay<br>
      Seabright, St Margarets Bay<br>
      Bogan.ca wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:20120810103057.f0aa34a5cedcbb38e674e941@bogan.ca"
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">All during the summer we had one family of hummingbirds, but then then in the last two weeks there has been an influx of hummers.

Now I have three feeders up and for awhile there was heavy feeding with as many as seven or more hummers. They would share and feed together. There has been a change in the last week and each of the feeders has a 'defender' usually a male hummer. This bird will not let any other hummer feed at 'its' feeder. It sits in a nearby tree or bush and if another hummer approaches, dive bombs that bird away.

At first I moved feeders around hoping to confuse the 'defender' but quickly a bird takes up station at that feeder. Despite the number of hummers being about the same, the feeding has declined dramatically.

Has anyone else observed this seemingly, non-productive behaviour?

Puzzled
Larry
</pre>

--------------060908060406060002070000--