[NatureNS] "Pingo" the Whimbrel stops in NS, Whimbrel in Kings

Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 00:40:46 -0300
From: g4syth@staff.ednet.ns.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi All,

Last Saturday, 18 August my wife and I were at Huntington's Point,
Kings Co.,NS (45.196797,-64.645715),  at lunch time and saw seven
Common loons and one Whimbrel.

I heard a noise that I at first thought was a Loon, maybe a young one
just learning to yodel, but soon saw the Whimbrel fly in from the east
and land on the rocks, it stayed close by for about half an hour
during the high tide and then flew to the west along the shore.

This is a quiet area of the Fundy shore but there are not often birds
of interest, this past weekend was a treat.

George Forsyth