[NatureNS] West coast:Fw: Farmed Salmon

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 21:10:52 -0300

Dear All,                            Nov 3, 2012
    Further to my e-mail of June 9, I happened recently to run into an
article about salmon on the West Coast (Natural History 104(9):26-39,1995).
At that time fluctuations over a 100+ year period seemed to be reasonably
well explained by cyclical changes in weather, wind and ocean currents.

    With respect to Chinook salmon on the west coast there was "...a period
of sustained harvest from 1889 to 1920, the period from 1921 to 1958 was one
of sharp decline and from 1959 to the present we had a period of persistent
salmon depletion."; page 31. On page 34 there is mention of a cool wet
period from the 1960s to the 1980s when stocks briefly increased. 1920 to
1950 was a hot dry period; a time of sharp decline. Note from the 50s onward
there was cumulative habitat degradation from logging.

    In contrast, Salmon farming started in BC in the early 70s.
http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/solutions/industry-reform/history-in-bc/
Note that the period of steep decline over 37 years all took place before
salmon farming started. And the period of modest increase was after farming
started.

     Perhaps, with respect to salmon farming, crap is not exclusively under
salmon pens; some may be about salmon farming.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville