[NatureNS] re West coast:Fw: Farmed Salmon

From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 21:53:56 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Apple-Mail-22-21081852
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Interesting notes, Dave, and I'm responding off the top of my biased
head from that West, namely central B.C.  I am biased about open-net-
pen salmon farming which is so wrong in so many ways.  But I think we
in the East have a lot to learn from the history and experiences of
the salmon-farming industry in New Brunswick, about which we in Nova
Scotia seldom hear much, even from CBC News and Maritime Noon etc.
There is a lot of knowledge and expertise in the Conservation Council
of New Brunswick, especially Inka Milewsky? who traveled to Shelburne
in attempt to let the people in SW NS communities the on-going
environmental effects of salmon feedlots.  Also the history of the
Inner Bay of Fundy Salmon should be somewhat instructive in the
chronology of the sharp demise from 40,000 adults in various rivers
in 1989? to less than 200 (100?) now.  (Figures from a sign in
Miner's Marsh in Kentville from the Atlantic Salmon Federation et
al.)  Finally, Jim Gourlay, who published the magazine Eastern Woods
and Waters for a long time, is very knowledgeable about wild salmon
as well as the history of salmon farming in the Bay of Fundy.

Cheers? from Jim in Burn's Lake, B.C.
--------------------

Begin forwarded message:

> From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
> Date: November 3, 2012 9:10:52 PM ADT
> To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: [NatureNS] West coast:Fw: Farmed Salmon
>
> Dear All,                            Nov 3, 2012
>    Further to my e-mail of June 9, I happened recently to run into
> an article about salmon on the West Coast (Natural History 104(9):
> 26-39,1995). At that time fluctuations over a 100+ year period
> seemed to be reasonably well explained by cyclical changes in
> weather, wind and ocean currents.
>
>    With respect to Chinook salmon on the west coast there was "...a
> period of sustained harvest from 1889 to 1920, the period from 1921
> to 1958 was one of sharp decline and from 1959 to the present we
> had a period of persistent salmon depletion."; page 31. On page 34
> there is mention of a cool wet period from the 1960s to the 1980s
> when stocks briefly increased. 1920 to 1950 was a hot dry period; a
> time of sharp decline. Note from the 50s onward there was
> cumulative habitat degradation from logging.
>
>    In contrast, Salmon farming started in BC in the early 70s.
> http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/solutions/industry-reform/history-
> in-bc/
> Note that the period of steep decline over 37 years all took place
> before salmon farming started. And the period of modest increase
> was after farming started.
>
>     Perhaps, with respect to salmon farming, crap is not
> exclusively under salmon pens; some may be about salmon farming.
>
> Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David & Alison Webster"
> <dwebster@glinx.com>

--Apple-Mail-22-21081852

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
Interesting notes, Dave, and I'm responding off the top of my biased =
head from that West, namely central B.C. &nbsp;I am biased about =
open-net-pen salmon farming which is so wrong in so many ways. &nbsp;But =
I think we in the East have a lot to learn from the history and =
experiences of the salmon-farming industry in New Brunswick, about which =
we in Nova Scotia seldom hear much, even from CBC News and Maritime Noon =
etc. &nbsp;There is a lot of knowledge and expertise in the Conservation =
Council of New Brunswick, especially Inka Milewsky? who traveled to =
Shelburne in attempt to let the people in SW NS communities the on-going =
environmental effects of salmon feedlots. &nbsp;Also the history of the =
Inner Bay of Fundy Salmon should be somewhat instructive in the =
chronology of the sharp demise from 40,000 adults in various rivers in =
1989? to less than 200 (100?) now. &nbsp;(Figures from a sign in Miner's =
Marsh in Kentville from the Atlantic Salmon Federation et al.) =
&nbsp;Finally, Jim Gourlay, who published the magazine Eastern Woods and =
Waters for a long time, is very knowledgeable about wild salmon as well =
as the history of salmon farming in the Bay of =
message:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" =
size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: =
style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica">David &amp; Alison Webster &lt;<a =
margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" =
style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #000000"><b>Date: =
</b></font><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px =
Helvetica">November 3, 2012 9:10:52 PM ADT</font></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" =
face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica"><a =
href=3D"mailto:NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca">NatureNS