[NatureNS] re redness of coyote and deer carcass.

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 15:54:02 -0400

--Apple-Mail-16-1064920374
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

I have no experience with RED WOLVES, other than reading about them
and viewing the Can. Geogr.? video on wolves of Algonquin Park made
in about 2000 or 2002?  The Theberges identified them by genetic
means and were greatly surprised by their finding, since the Red
Wolf, which is very Coyote-like and variable in appearance?, has a
recent range in Mexico and the very southern states like Louisiana
and Texas, I think.

Nova Scotia coyotes are very variable in appearance and size, with
coats ranging from light blond through grays to tans and browns with
reddish especially behind the ears, but the whole pelt can be quite
reddish too; and the fur colour can also be very dark brown to
blackish.  And the coyote's appearance can be very much like western
plains coyotes, or much bigger and very wolf-like in the head and face.

My experience with N.S. coyotes is quite limited, but decades ago
Barry Sabean, who used to be the head biologist in DNR's (then Lands
& Forests) Wildlife Division in Kentville, talked to the Blomidon
Naturalists and emphasized at the beginning of his talk how variable
our coyotes are, and he had several tanned pelts that showed us
exactly that.

The notes about the redness and the mention of red wolf compelled me
to say something here.

Locally for my area, a friend told me he was very surprised to look
out from his rural house in Lockhartville (east of Avonport) and see
a coyote only a few tens of metres away from his house in an open
field, and it stood there and surveyed the situation for a while
before sauntering off.  This was probably nothing to be concerned
about, but, if he reports a reoccurrence, it should be reported to
NSDNR.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: garymurray <garymurray@ns.sympatico.ca>
> Date: January 3, 2013 9:33:27 PM AST
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Coyote and deer carcass.
>
> Oops I did it too!
>

> Sent from Samsung Mobile
>
> garymurray <garymurray@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Hi, I wonder what if any harm it would do to let nature take it's
> course, as we all know it is impossible to control or eradicate them.
> Parks Canada  used to use "bangers", kind of like a firecracker to
> scare away the Elk when I lived in Jasper, but you gotta wonder how
> it would work on wily coyotes.
>
> A neighbour's friend is a wildlife tech, so will ask him next time
> I see him. He was coincidentally on the news last night about
> coyotes in Laurie park.
>
> Yeah, the red, and size really stood out to me
>
> cheers,
> Gary.
>

> Sent from Samsung Mobile
>
> Angela <aljoudrey@eastlink.ca> wrote:
> Part 2: I forgot to mention that he too noticed how red the coyote
> seemed.
>
> Angela in Windsor
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2013-01-03, at 8:37 PM, Angela <aljoudrey@eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
> > Hi there. My dad called to tell me about this. He called DNR who
> said he wasn't the first one to call. They weren't going to send
> anyone out bc the ice could be unsafe and they weren't going to
> call the fire dept as that us not their job. They did say they were
> going to send a tech out there with firecrackers- I kid you not-
> and try to scare the coyote off. However the deer carcass will
> still be there.
> >
> > Angela in Windsor
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > On 2013-01-03, at 8:00 PM, garymurray@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Whilst driving by Barrett Lake on the Beaverbank Road today,
> there was a deer carcass in the middle of the lake being picked at
> by 3 Ravens. Hovering a few hundred metres away was a large Reddish
> Coyote which was reluctant to go near it with myself and another
> vehicle parked watching it. It eventually left, I assume it would
> return after things quieted down or after dark whichever came first.
> >>
> >> Couldn't stick around due to an appointment, but will try to
> swing by tomorrow to see if there is any activity around the
> carcass. It looked like a whole animal, not just the pelt etc..
> that a hunter would be getting rid of.
> >> The red colour and large size made me wonder about the Red Wolf
> species in Algonquin Park and if this was an off shoot of it or
> something. Pretty cool to see in any event.
> >>
> >> Lots of birds around the feeders today, mainly Redpolls,
> Goldfinches and Pine Siskins. Plus Red and White Breasted
> Nuthatches, B.C. Chickadees, Downy, Hairy Woodpeckers, 17 Mourning
> Doves, though it looks like the resident ducks seem to have flown
> the coop with the lake being mostly frozen over now.

> [...]

--Apple-Mail-16-1064920374

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
I have no experience with RED WOLVES, other than reading about them and =
viewing the Can. Geogr.? video on wolves of Algonquin Park made in about =
2000 or 2002? &nbsp;The Theberges identified them by genetic means and =
were greatly surprised by their finding, since the Red Wolf, which is =
very Coyote-like and variable in appearance?, has a recent range in =
Mexico and the very southern states like Louisiana and Texas, I think. =
appearance and size, with coats ranging from light blond through grays =
to tans and browns with reddish especially behind the ears, but the =
whole pelt can be quite reddish too; and the fur colour can also be very =
dark brown to blackish. &nbsp;And the coyote's appearance can be very =
much like western plains coyotes, or much bigger and very wolf-like in =
N.S. coyotes is quite limited, but decades ago Barry Sabean, who used to =
be the head biologist in DNR's (then Lands &amp; Forests) Wildlife =