[NatureNS] Coyote and deer carcass.

Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 09:29:11 -0400
From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Barrett Lake is well out along Beaverbank Road. Even on a map you can
see that there is all kinds of habitat in the immediate area. Those
who live in that area are living in dreamland if they doubt that every
one of them have had coyotes right in their backyards, at night, at
one time or another. Deer too, of course. To think that DNR could
scare coyotes out of this area with even semi-permanent success is a
farce. Yes, the residents could be advised. They could be advised that
they have chosen to live within and adjacent to coyote habitat. From
time to time they will see deer and coyotes.

When a specific coyote is seen right in a backyard during the daytime,
or when one approaches humans anywhere in a clearly aggressive way,
DNR has a role to play. Any response taken to a coyote out in the
middle of a lake, trying to get a bit of deer meat, would be pandering
to ignorance of the biological reality all around us, and nothing
more.

Rick.