[NatureNS] redpolls

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 12:31:08 -0400

I am pleased to say we have finally, two Redpolls, because they are so pale
I am calling them Hoary. It has been some time since I have had them here,
any redpolls. Along with them there are the usual gang of sparrows; song,
white throats, (quite a few now)  and an American tree.
A chipping was here very briefly when the wind settled the other day but I
haven't seen it since. We do still have starlings and Blue Jays although the
numbers are settling down, thankfully, knock on wood. Haven't seen a Grackle
in awhile. There are chickadees, a smattering of Goldfinches and
occasionally a pine siskin. The white breasted Nuthatch is still visiting
but no so after and I have lost track of the kinglets. There are a number of
both Downy and Hairy wood peckers, mostly male and they are getting quite
scrappy. We have been hosting goodly number of Juncos, some very crispy
charcoal to black but since yesterday I haven't seen them at all.
We have had a lovely maturing male Cardinal, for a month or more then with
that high wind it was gone a couple  days then arrived with another and
since then we have one back, from time to time. I hear them though so maybe
we are a reserve they will keep in mind. Have to say I will do a painting of
at least the one in the grape/kiwi vines. Such a lovely surprise especially
when the sun comes through and catches the colour! We have several predator
birds. The Northern shrike was here last week. It took a pine siskin. I
usually hear it before I see it.
There are the usual Sharp shinned hawks and some thing small is hunting
them...very fast and pointy..a Merlin maybe. There are both Red tailed and
Broad-winged hawks about. My brother in law said a small owl flew across the
road in front of him just at dusk. He nearly hit it. He lives off the road
that runs through White Point  Estates.
Watched a large string of geese flying along the shore and thought maybe
they were coming in to the golfcourse but can't hear them there. If we get a
calm mild day I may wander down the far end to see what is there.
Was given Ian's book. I am enjoying it so much! So much to learn.
Happy, healthy and safe New Year to you all. Good birding!
Best regards, Marg Millard, White Point,  Queens co