[NatureNS] "Dovekie" Rescued @ Shubie Park

Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 13:13:42 -0400
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--e0cb4efe2f767010d704d3bb771c

Ive been getting lots of emails and phonecalls from Newfoundland since they
had their blizzard about stranded Dovekies and there are record #s of the
stranding in some of the New England states. Many people just don't know
that they can't take off from land, but I always recommend they be assessed
by a veterinarian for body condition and injuries before release. Fingers
crossed for this little one.
Helene
On Jan 20, 2013 12:49 PM, <duartess@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Had a message from a fellow dog walker at the off-leash area of Shubie
> Park of an incident this morning. A group of crows were attacking something
> on the ground. When she ran up to investigate, she saw a little bird that
> she had never seen before. She said it had webbed feet. She sent me a
> picture and it was a "Dovekie". She wasn't sure if it was injured so was
> taking it out to Hope For Wildlife.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Gayle MacLean
> Dartmouth

--e0cb4efe2f767010d704d3bb771c

hey had their blizzard about stranded Dovekies and there are record #s of t=
he stranding in some of the New England states. Many people just don&#39;t =
know that they can&#39;t take off from land, but I always recommend they be=
 assessed by a veterinarian for body condition and injuries before release.=
 Fingers crossed for this little one.<br>

Helene</p>
:duartess@ns.sympatico.ca">duartess@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br type=
=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8=
ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Had a message from a fellow dog walker at the off-leash area of Shubie Park=
 of an incident this morning. A group of crows were attacking something on =
the ground. When she ran up to investigate, she saw a little bird that she =
had never seen before. She said it had webbed feet. She sent me a picture a=
nd it was a &quot;Dovekie&quot;. She wasn&#39;t sure if it was injured so w=
as taking it out to Hope For Wildlife.<br>

Sincerely,<br>
Gayle MacLean<br>
Dartmouth<br>

--e0cb4efe2f767010d704d3bb771c--