[NatureNS] "Dovekie" Rescued @ Shubie Park

From: Paul Evans <pauldanielevans@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 15:36:41 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Apple-Mail-5F580953-5063-43F0-895E-C0C6F8EED185

Just a short while ago we saw a Dovekie on the ice on Porters Lake.  In shor=
t order it ended up being attacked by Crows, to which it was reasonably defe=
nding itself. Unfortunately a Gull arrived and was successfully.=20

During this, Harriet and I saw two other Dovekies land in the reeds near the=
 end of Porter's Lake. We captured them, stopped by Hope's where she did a q=
uick check on them. We then released them on open water. Hope said she had 2=
0 calls/visits related to Dovekies today.

Paul Evans
East Lawrencetown

Sent from my iPhone

On 2013-01-20, at 1:13 PM, Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com> wro=
te:

> Ive been getting lots of emails and phonecalls from Newfoundland since the=
y had their blizzard about stranded Dovekies and there are record #s of the s=
tranding in some of the New England states. Many people just don't know that=
 they can't take off from land, but I always recommend they be assessed by a=
 veterinarian for body condition and injuries before release. Fingers crosse=
d for this little one.
> Helene
>=20
> On Jan 20, 2013 12:49 PM, <duartess@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> Had a message from a fellow dog walker at the off-leash area of Shubie Pa=
rk of an incident this morning. A group of crows were attacking something on=
 the ground. When she ran up to investigate, she saw a little bird that she h=
ad never seen before. She said it had webbed feet. She sent me a picture and=
 it was a "Dovekie". She wasn't sure if it was injured so was taking it out t=
o Hope For Wildlife.
>>=20
>> Sincerely,
>>=20
>> Gayle MacLean
>> Dartmouth

--Apple-Mail-5F580953-5063-43F0-895E-C0C6F8EED185

e on the ice on Porters Lake. &nbsp;In short order it ended up being attacke=
d by Crows, to which it was reasonably defending itself. Unfortunately a Gul=
arriet and I saw two other Dovekies land in the reeds near the end of Porter=
's Lake. We captured them, stopped by Hope's where she did a quick check on t=
hem. We then released them on open water. Hope said she had 20 calls/visits r=
-20, at 1:13 PM, Helene Van Doninck &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:helene.birdvet@gma=
e=3D"cite"><div><p>Ive been getting lots of emails and phonecalls from Newfo=
undland since they had their blizzard about stranded Dovekies and there are r=
ecord #s of the stranding in some of the New England states. Many people jus=
t don't know that they can't take off from land, but I always recommend they=
 be assessed by a veterinarian for body condition and injuries before releas=
e. Fingers crossed for this little one.<br>

Helene</p>
duartess@ns.sympatico.ca">duartess@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br type=3D=
"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;b=
order-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Had a message from a fellow dog walker at the off-leash area of Shubie Park o=
f an incident this morning. A group of crows were attacking something on the=
 ground. When she ran up to investigate, she saw a little bird that she had n=
ever seen before. She said it had webbed feet. She sent me a picture and it w=
as a "Dovekie". She wasn't sure if it was injured so was taking it out to Ho=
pe For Wildlife.<br>

Sincerely,<br>
Gayle MacLean<br>
Dartmouth<br>

--Apple-Mail-5F580953-5063-43F0-895E-C0C6F8EED185--