[NatureNS] sightings, White Point, Queens

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:58:25 -0300

Good morning. The sun is shining and the ocean is sighing its spring sound.
Oh! so!! Nice!!!  Hot cross buns are rising and as I was cleaning up after
the mixing, I was delighted to see a Heron fly by headed vaguely East over
the Golf course. While I was trying to see what kind, two tree swallows flew
in, buzzed the house at the barn and wheeled away again! I can only hope
they find food but a minute later I was brushing some sort of insect from my
face without really being conscious of it until I realized I had soapy dough
all over my cheek so maybe the worst is past. Early hummingbirds won't be
far behind. Happy Easter all. Spring has sprung.
Other sightings include the regulars although maybe a change in shifts of
some; Chickadees, Juncos, had an American Goldfinch this am first I have
seen in some time, 5 common Redpolls, 2 Blue Jays, Both female and male
Woody and Downy Woodpeckers. There have been Robins in and out, singly or a
couple at a time but not close to our normal numbers for this time of the
year. We thought maybe "ours" had returned awhile back, but it did not stay.
Hopefully it is ok. Get quite attached to some of these creatures. I heard a
Red-winged Blackbird yesterday but did not see it. There is traffic in and
from the house close to their usual  spot so maybe it will go elsewhere. I
have not heard it today. There are more cats roaming than before so what to
do.?
Sparrows have been  plentiful. I have Song, White Throats, what appears to
be a White Crowned  not yet in blazing glory, American Tree (we had three
most of the new year), one single Chipping for quite some time but now there
appear to be three but not at the same time.

Notably missing are Grackles. Haven't seen one all waiter. Also although we
have had a few Starlings at a time, thankfully not the hoards.

Update!! a good bunch of Common Redpolls just flew in and are covering the
whole feeding system and grapevine!! They are raining down. Steve tried to
count, got to forty, more came in so he said is creepy!! I'll go see if I
can see any Hoarys.

Marg Millard
White Point, Queens Co.