[NatureNS] re ticks etc

Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 22:36:20 -0300
From: David Patriquin <patriqui@Dal.Ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, cjknndy@mta.ca

After my brush with a black legged tick in April and subsequent
sensitivity to doxycycline (extreme sun sensitivity), I really wanted
to find out how to avoid them altogether.  Thanks to Peter Payzant
for some direction.

tickinfo.com is a good source of info. As explained there, wearing
pyrethrum-treated clothing  combined with use of Deet on exposed skin
areas is considered "100% effective" in keeping ticks off of your body.

Permethrin has not been registered by the PMRA for personal use in
Canada. Why not? -  a good question;  the Canadian military uses it
and Health Canada advises Canadians to use it against malaria etc. I
feel that health officials in Canada/NS are still underplaying the
tick/lyme issue. We need to pressure health officicals and politicians
to in turn pressure the  PMRA to allow permethrin products (sprays and
clothing) for protection against ticks to be sold in Canada, and to
advise on use of the same. (I  go for the full chemical protection
route, especially use of DEET, only when I know I will be in habitats
(e.g., tall grass) and areas known to have high levels of black-legged
tick and high frequency of lyme in the black-legged tick.)

Some US retailers will ship permethrin spray to Canada. LL Bean and
other major outdoor-oriented retail stores sell Insect Shield and
other brands of permethrin treated clothing so if you are in USA, pick
some up!

A few further sources of info:

www.cdc.gov/lyme/resources/1209lyme.pdf
Treatment of Lyme Disease... New Medical Letter recommendations for
prophylaxis and treatment. (2005)

NS gov. site with map of six areas where blacklegged ticks carrying
the bacteria that can cause Lyme disease are known to be established:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/hpp/cdpc/lyme.asp

A Canadian study on effectiveness of spraying clothing (poster report)
www.textilescience.ca/downloads/Arielle_Orteza_Report.pdf

Canadian Lyne Disease Foundation
http://canlyme.com

Repelling the insect-repellent hat
http://www.macleans.ca/science/health/article.jsp?content=20070723_107268_107268
-interesting reading as it's a 2007 article that anticipated PMRA
approval of permetrhrin products "in the next three to six months".

Quoting cjknndy@mta.ca:

> Late follow-up on the Tick issue. i was recently in an area near
> Bridgetown and
> in a 400m stretch of tall grass i picked up 40+ ticks, later that day i found
> one in my ear mildy engorged :(. I have not yet reached my 'zen'
> with ticks and
> am wondering where i could even acquire 'perethrin' or 'perethrum'? I did
> purchase some insect repellant that uses Lemon Eucalyptuc oil as the active
> ingrediant as I've read this is somewhat effective against ticks.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris Kennedy in dartmouth
>

>> Any chance that pyrethrum is a related chemical?  It would be nice if
>> pyrethrum was toxic or repellant to ticks.  I hope you are not in contact
>> with cats or fish, Peter; or that your clothing wash water
>> doesn’t get into
>> any water that has fish.

David Patriquin
http://versicolor.ca