[NatureNS] An Unexpected Visitor

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 19:02:42 -0300
From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7b2e745c96af4b04de5b3db5

Just last Friday, at NSNT Gold River Lake, I watched a female fly directly
into a large, living, white pine stub. This was the main trunk that had
broken right off, leaving a large cavity of unknown depth. She did not
pause at the rim, but just flew or dropped right out of sight. I was
following her with binocs at the time so saw the event rather well.
Rick Whitman

--
Rick Whitman

--047d7b2e745c96af4b04de5b3db5

ale fly directly into a large, living, white pine stub. This was the main t=
runk that had broken right off, leaving a large cavity of unknown depth. Sh=
e did not pause at the rim, but just flew or dropped right out of sight. I =
was following her with binocs at the time so saw the event rather well.<div=
 style>
ail_quote">On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:iamclar@dal.ca" target=3D"_blank">iamclar@dal.ca</a>&gt;</span> =
wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">All:<br>
Better than my attenuated memory is a pertinent paragraph from &quot;The Bi=
rds of North America&quot; on-line, with references removed:<br>
&quot;Hole/cavity nester; generally uses trees, either live or dead (most t=
ree species may be used); cavities include holes formed by Pileated Woodpec=
kers (Dryocopus pileatus) or by broken tree limbs, and hollow tops of stand=
ing trees .Recorded heights to entrance holes range from 1 to 30 m). Nests =
less frequently in rock crevices, old buildings or sheds, chimneys, lightho=
uses, holes in banks, holes in the ground, hollow logs, or burrows. Nests m=
ay be located far from water (&gt;0.5 km; MLM)&quot;<br>

So Blake, you should have placed that box with a blanket at the bottom of t=
he chimney, well screened from the cats, and then they would have had the p=
leasures of a mouth-watering and ear-tingling displays for days on end.<br>

Cheers, Ian<br>
Quoting Blake Maybank &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bmaybank@gmail.com" target=3D"_=
blank">bmaybank@gmail.com</a>&gt;:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
4 June 2013 - White&#39;s Lake, HRM, Nova Scotia<br>
I repeatedly heard odd thumping and crashing noises in our house this<br>
morning, emanating from . . . somewhere. =A0I first blamed the cats, to no<=
br>
avail. =A0I finally realised the noises were coming from the chimney of our=
fireplace, and by the volume I suspected a raccoon (ruling out squirrels,<b=
r>
bats, and Chimney Swifts). =A0There was eventually a final &quot;thump&quot=
; and when I<br>
shone a flashlight through the soot-covered glass door to the fireplace I<b=
r>
was very surprised to see a female Common Merganser staring back at me.<br>
I then alerted the Hope for Wildlife Centre regarding a possible new