[NatureNS] Ronald Hodges bio + fairy ring of ferns

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 11:11:21 -0300

       Peter Payzant&lt;br

------=_NextPart_000_0215_01CE74B9.62C718B0

Hi Steve,                                        June 29, 2013
    No Steve, you are forced to first take a good look at the ferns to =
determine if they are native or planted. Native ferns are relatively =
easy to master. I have learned them and forgotten them at least 5 times. =
Also look at the ground to see if there are traces of old rhizomes that =
extend toward the center of the ring. Many ferns (drawing on memory)have =
horizontal rhizomes at or just below the surface and bear fronds on =
ascending branches. Old frond branches fade away and the youngest are =
dominant.
    I have never noticed the kind of fern ring that you describe but =
plants in general tend to eventually render ground unsuitable for their =
species and in some cases the greatest vigor is in the virgin peripheral =
ground. But some ferns, such as Hay-scented fern grow in pure dense =
patches for years.=20
    The only native fern that is commonly found in grassy areas (sparse, =
weak grass) is Bracken. Some Botrychium also are found in grassland but =
are usually well hidden.
   =20
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

  ----- Original Message -----=20