[NatureNS] Ronald Hodges bio + fairy ring of ferns

From: Steve Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 19:11:10 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-1--900320519
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Thanks, Peter, interesting.   It would be quite an investment even to
own all of the 28 volumes of moth families advertised so far in the
site that you indicated (of the ~130 expected), that presumably
underpin the Checklist or part of it.   For a modest $20, the
Checklist is presumably just that, a list of proper binomial names
without illustrations.  This raises the question of how you are
supposed to go from finding, say, an unidentified local green
geometer to putting a Hodges name on it.  BugGuide?  It is a quite
different matter doing this for the estimated 16,000+ moths than for
local butterflies, where your excellent, updated Butterflies site
gives images of all 70-odd species that have occurred in NS, making
identification much easier.  Bev's site is a great starting point for
the moths, but I think it is fairly recent.

On a barely related matter, years back my daughter and I went on an
informative butterfly walk at Mt Uniacke conducted by you and your
wife, which commenced with exploration of the large drumlin hill that
rises some way down from the house itself, opposite the front of
it.   We were there about 3 weeks ago again on an abortive hunt for
an empidid fly that occurs in the grounds, and noticed a conspicuous
group of ferns on the right side of the drumlin, perhaps 1/4 of the
way up.   Peculiarly, in largely grassy surroundings, these ferns
were arranged in a quite regular ring perhaps 20 feet across.   You
must have seen it too, so I wonder if you understand its origin -- is
it a natural occurrence, and if so what would have caused the ring
formation?   Uniacke had a greenhouse at the other side of the house,
but it doesn't look like the ring would have been part of an old
garden there -- at least I didn't see any other signs of one, though
time could have erased these.   Have you or any of the botanists here
any idea on the origin of the fern ring?  Are the ferns a cultivated
variety that might indicate that the site was once part of a now-
vanished garden, or are we forced to consider that it might be the
work of fairies?
Steve

On 29-Jun-13, at 4:50 PM, Peter Payzant wrote:
> ... and more about Ronald Hodges here.
>
> Peter Payzant
>

> On 2013-06-29 4:29 PM, Peter Payzant wrote:
>> This refers to a number in the 1983 publication "Check List of the
>> Lepidoptera of America North of Mexico", often referred to as "MONA".
>>
>> Ronald W. Hodges was the senior author.
>>
>> Peter Payzant
>>

>> On 2013-06-29 3:42 PM, Stephen R. Shaw wrote:
>>> This is related but really one for Bev Wigney, re her very nice
>>> site and her earlier post: what is 'Hodges' in for instance
>>> 'Hodges 6796 - Campaea perlata - Pale Beauty'?  Is 'Hodges' a
>>> reference site on-line, or a book of images, or something else?
>>> Steve, Halifax

--Apple-Mail-1--900320519

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
Thanks, Peter, interesting. &nbsp; It would be quite an investment even =
to own all of the 28 volumes of moth families advertised so far in the =
site that you indicated (of the ~130 expected), that presumably underpin =
the Checklist or part of it. &nbsp; For a modest $20, the Checklist is =
presumably just that, a list of proper binomial names without =
illustrations. &nbsp;This raises the question of how you are supposed to =
go from finding, say, an unidentified local green geometer to putting a =
Hodges name on it. &nbsp;BugGuide? &nbsp;It is a quite different matter =
doing this for the estimated 16,000+ moths than for local butterflies, =
where your excellent, updated Butterflies site gives images of all =
70-odd species that have occurred in NS, making identification much =
easier. &nbsp;Bev's site is a great starting point for the moths, but I =
matter, years back my daughter and I went on an informative butterfly =
walk at Mt Uniacke conducted by you and your wife, which commenced with =
exploration of the large drumlin hill that rises some way down from the =
house itself, opposite the front of it. &nbsp; We were there about 3 =
weeks ago again on an abortive hunt for an empidid fly that occurs in =
the grounds, and noticed a conspicuous group of ferns on the right side =
of the drumlin, perhaps 1/4 of the way up. &nbsp; Peculiarly, in largely =
grassy surroundings, these ferns were arranged in a quite regular ring =
perhaps 20 feet across. &nbsp; You must have seen it too, so I wonder if =
you understand its origin -- is it a natural occurrence, and if so what =
would have caused the ring formation? &nbsp; Uniacke had a greenhouse at =
the other side of the house, but it doesn't look like the ring would =
have been part of an old garden there -- at least I didn't see any other =
signs of one, though time could have erased these. &nbsp; Have you or =
any of the botanists here any idea on the origin of the fern ring? =
&nbsp;Are the ferns a cultivated variety that might indicate that the =
site was once part of a now-vanished garden, or are we forced to =
consider that it might be the work of =
29-Jun-13, at 4:50 PM, Peter Payzant wrote:</div><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">    <div class=3D"moz-cite-prefix">... and more about =
Ronald Hodges <a =
href=3D"http://www.wedgefoundation.org/hodges.asp">here</a>.<br>      =
4:29 PM, Peter Payzant wrote:<br>    </div>    <blockquote =
cite=3D"mid:51CF358F.5000200@accesswave.ca" type=3D"cite">            =
 publication "Check List of the Lepidoptera of America North of        =
Mexico", often referred to as "<a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moths_of_North_America">MONA<=
/a>".<br>        <br>        <a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" =
href=3D"http://scholar.google.ca/citations?user=3DaFY8b3wAAAAJ&amp;hl=3Den=
       Peter Payzant<br