[NatureNS] Jack-in-the-pulpit

From: Nancy P Dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 17:03:40 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Guides (I.e. Audubon) say all parts of this plant are poisonous. Birds and mammals probably avoid their seeds.

If you want to try increasing your population:

1. Collect ripe berries in fall, mash them a bit and plant fresh before they have had a chance to dry out. They take at least 2 yrs to germinate. Or

2. Separate cormlets which sprout around the edges of the parent form in fall. (Both from 100 East-to-Grow Native Plants for Canadian Gardens)

Nancy

Sent from my iPhone