[NatureNS] comment re Empty Forests

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 16:44:43 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,
CC: Aleta Karstad <karstad@pinicola.ca>

Jm5ic3A7I
On 8/12/2013 4:06 PM, James W. Wolford wrote:
> Here is a relevant note I wrote myself on Aug. 7:
>
>  BUT what really struck me was *how very few other insects I am
> noticing  on the flowers*as I walk.  Thinking back a couple of decades
> (or more?), I used to see a wide variety of insects and spiders on the
> flowers, and now I am seeing few to none, plus the few butterflies.  Has
> anyone noticed the same thing?

* in eastern Ontario, we've had the same thing happen - Apple trees
whose fruit is usually gnarly with Insects are as perfectly formed as if
they'd been commercially protected by pesticides, Grasshoppers were late
into moulting into the imago stage, Purple Loosestrife free from the
perforations of the biocontrol Galerucella Beetles, I've forgotten what
a Colorado Potato Beetle looks like, vanishingly few Malacosoma
americanum tent caterpillars this spring, few moths or Butterflies...
the list of plant-feeding Insects that are scarce goes on and on.

Something about the schedule of the spring gave the plants the advantage
this year, and if there's few Insects, the forest Birds may have done
poorly or cleared out early (we haven't had any noticable paucity of
Birds here, though).

> And does anyone know of a database
> somewhere out there in our world of information that has decades of data
> like we have for breeding birds?

* we're working on that -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/database/dbintro.htm - says
86,000, but we're now up to 105,000.