[NatureList] Re: [NatureNS] comment re Empty Forests

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 22:18:15 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturelist@googlegroups.com, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 8/12/2013 4:44 PM, Fred Schueler wrote:

> Something about the schedule of the spring gave the plants the advantage
> this year

* one thing that suggests a delay in Insect life, this year, is that
when I listen for calling Frogs & Toads, I record sources of noise, and
this year "Cricket noise" was very late in arriving. I finish monitoring
on 1 August, and it's only since then that there's been substantial
Cricket noise - tonight is a perfect bedlam.

Also with regard to Bees, we've got lots of worker Bumble Bees all over
now, which suggests that the season has been good for them. We have some
herbicial Corn & Soy around, but not more than 20% of the landscape, and
none really nearby.

fred.

--
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad