[NatureNS] Unknown "brain" fungus

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 11:15:30 -0300

Hi Nancy & All,                        Aug 13, 2013
    Assuming near white is the final (mature) color and also that it has
pores not gills, it could be a perennial fungus Oxyporus populinus (Fr.)
Donk. Take a small piece from the largest shelf and put it, lower side down,
on a scrap of window glass. If you get a spore print within one day then it
is mature. Check to see if there is more than one layer of pores. "Usually
near the ground on trunks of living Maple": Smith & Smith, 1973.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville