[NatureNS] Another parasitic wasp- Pelecinid

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 14:47:47 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Nancy:
Each of the six legs of most insects investigated carries a sensitive
mechanoreceptor organ in the tibia, just below the 'knee', aptly
called the sub-genual organ (SGO).  It contains ~25 chordotonal sense
cells (mentioned earlier re insect 'ears') strung around a membrane
that spans a blood channel in the leg, a bit like a stretched
trampoline.  It's primarily a ground vibration detector. In
cockroaches, the leg's displacement threshold to elicit a response is
about the same as that in the basilar membrane at the threshold of
hearing in the cochlea, ~1 nanometer, so it's exquisitely sensitive.
A German scientist that I'd met briefly earlier had observed
pelecinids while vacationing in Canada a few years ago.  He wrote
suggesting that the extremely enlarged tibia of the hind legs, clearly
visible in your photo, might contain a mega-SGO, that might be what
the wasp used to detect vibrations emanating from June beetle larvae
underground. This could be worth investigating and he was interested
to do so.

So I collected a couple of the wasps (apparently not available in
Germany), and painstakingly fixed and embedded the swollen tibiae for
electron-microscopy and sent the blocks to him to cut sections and
examine, since that's what he seemed to want to do.  I later learned
from a junior colleague there that he had given up doing things
himself and had become a lab manager-bureaucrat, so the blocks were
sitting on his shelf and the project never went any further.  In fact
he probably really wanted me to do it so that we could 'collaborate'
(X actually does the work while Y gains partial credit, the way of the
science world these days).

If this project had gone forward, it still would not have solved how
the wasp decides to land on which bit of the lawn to check for
vibrations.  It would be interesting to see if the pelicinid SGO
responds also to airborne sound, as does the cockroach SGO, though it
is hard to imagine how much airborne sound could be generated from a
beetle larva scrunching around inches underground (you'd have to
measure it at different frequencies).

The adults typically are out flying about now, late August, often
cruising over lawns.  As has come up before on NatureNS, there is just
the single N. American species, and those seen are always females.
Males are known but are much smaller and are never usually found --
reproduction may be mostly without male intervention.
Steve (Halifax)