[NatureNS] How scientists refer to pigeons

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 20:14:57 +0000

Pigeons?  In Britain, one of the original homes of C. livia and where I grew up, the term 'rock dove' was unknown at least to us kids -- we called them wood pigeons.  While they would nest in cliffs (Sibley) and abandoned quarries as well as under man-made structures like bridges, we usually encountered them nesting in wooded areas in low trees.   Many varieties were domesticated much earlier for food and/or by 'pigeon fanciers' which strongly influenced Darwin in 'The Origin', where he cites them as a main example of the large range of variation that can be achieved by selective interbreeding -- he also raised varieties himself.   Where I grew up there was also an extensive network of pigeon-racing enthusiasts, using 'homing pigeons'. They were also kept much earlier for food (pigeon pie?) and fertilizer in large, elaborate 'dovecotes' in UK and Europe from the Romans onwards (columbaria), many stone examples of which still survive.  The modern expansion in the species apparently came from feral escapees that started interbreeding in the wild.

It's a seemingly odd question to ask what interacting zoologists would call them, as I don't think that there is an extensive group of scientists who work on pigeons as such and who would worry about this (outside a perhaps dwindling subgroup of pigeon-using psychologists who use them in learning discrimination tests, because they can be taught to peck coloured keys in search of an associated reward).  By contrast there are now probably tens of thousands of scientists using 'Drosophila', usually D. melanogaster, who mostly seem not to be worried that the genus name ought to be, and perhaps might even end up being, changed to Sophophora.
 Steve (Halifax)