[NatureNS] Miner's Marsh offleash park...

From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 11:04:38 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

&lt;div&gt;YT, Dave&lt;/
--089e010d8c7ac69f4f04fca98f64

*From the NS Museum of Natural History Website:*

http://novascotia.ca/museum/amphibians/en/turtles/watch.asp

"It may seem harmless to keep a turtle as a pet for a while, but this is
not a good idea. Two of the province's four turtle species are already at
risk in Nova Scotia. It is likely that removal of turtles by people is part
of the reason, for Wood Turtles. Limit your observations to turtles in
their natural habitat. If you want a close view, examine the turtle where
you find it and release it in the same place. This will help us all enjoy
our wildlife, now and forever."

*From NS General Wildlife Regulations made under Section 113 of
the Wildlife Act: *

http://www.novascotia.ca/just/regulations/regs/wigeneral.htm

"Captive wildlife
6     (1)    Unless determined otherwise by the Director of Wildlife, no
person shall hold in captivity any wildlife, native or exotic, unless the
person holds
                 (a)    a permit or licence issued pursuant to subsection
16(3) of the Act (Private
Wildlife Park Licence/Permit); or
                (b)    a Game Farming Licence issued pursuant to Section 49
of the Act; or
                (c)    a Scientific or Educational Permit issued pursuant
to Section 20 of the Act; or
                (d)    a Captive Wildlife Permit issued pursuant to these
regulations; or
                (e)    a Falconry Permit issued pursuant to these
regulations; or
Clause 6(1)(e) added: O.I.C. 97-519, N.S. Reg. 98/97."

*From the NS DNR Captive Wildlife Permit page: *

http://www.novascotia.ca/snsmr/paal/dnr/paal085.asp

"The Department of Natural Resources does not encourage the keeping of
native wildlife as pets. Permits to do that will only be issued for animals
which, for one reason or another, cannot be returned to the wild"

cheers,

James.