[NatureNS] Wood Turtle: long

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 23:44:50 -0300
From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

production implies a control mechanism to a
--089e01538ad87473b104fd18c29e

Dave,

With respect, and in hopes of adding some balance here, I do not feel that
your strong language here is appropriate and possibly, though I am not
personally offended, it could be perceived as offensive to some. Science
can move forward by rational argument, but how do you defend your use of
the word 'delusion' in reference to the idea that collecting turtles could
be one factor affecting turtle population viability? (To my knowledge no
one has yet, including the Natural History Museum web site, suggested that
collecting turtles is the main threat to turtle populations so your
statement is misleading). 'Delusion' to me implies belief in a notion
that is attractive but false. From what I've seen you have not provided any
quantitative evidence supporting the notion that collecting turtles has
no,or little, effect on turtle populations. Until then I feel you are not
yet free to throw around the word 'delusion'.

One place I would suggest the discussion starts is with the COSEWIC
status report on the Wood Turtle. If the discussion starts with research
rather than anecdote there is possibility for making some headway in this
discussion. Otherwise, in my opinion, your argument (as I understand it:
that there is no harm and that we actually lose out by not collecting
turtles), which is not yet based on evidence, and not one that to my
knowledge many scientists agree with, is perhaps misdirecting our energies
and misleading people that are listening to this conversation.

In the spirit of science and rational argument.
Cheers,
James