[NatureNS] Scots Bay Eaglets and TS Arthur

Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 13:20:46 -0300
From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7b6769181dbebe04fe51e88a

Thanks Ian. There were likely many impacts to wildlife that we will never
know about. I know Dave Webster raised the question of nesting birds. I
wasn't sure how useful anecdotal reports would be. But I'll share three now
anyway. I was monitoring a Red-eyed Vireo nest with 4 eggs on June 28. As
is typical, it was artfully made well out on a small branch in the
understory. When I checked after the storm, the branch with the nest was on
the wrong side of the main trunk of an adjacent small tree. The nest was
messy but still there. There was no sign of the eggs or nestlings. I'm sure
they were thrown out.

I was also following a Black-throated Green Warbler nest in a white spruce,
in a regenerating field. The nest was beautifully placed on one branch,
with a different branch stiff and flat only about 1" above. The nest was
"invisible"; I only sensed that a bird had slipped off as I walked by. This
nest survived Arthur, with 4 eggs and the female in place on July 8. But
the permanent orientation of the two branches had been altered by the storm
to the extent that the nest was easily seen from above. The nest was
predated by July 13, something that I think would have been much less
likely in the original orientation.

Bernard Forsythe told me about a Common Loon nest on a man-made platform on
Sunken Lake. The female stayed on the nest throughout the first half of
Arthur when the wind was very strong from the east. There was then the
quiet period and then the wind came back very strong from the south-west
(?). As I have it, at that point she left the nest and did not come back.
The eggs washed or blew out of the nest. Someone waded out & retrieved the
eggs. I presume the storm carried on for several more hours. I believe the
eggs were taken to Hope for Wildlife (?) This one is all third-hand but the
core facts should be OK.

Rick Whitman

--
Rick Whitman

--047d7b6769181dbebe04fe51e88a

t we will never know about. I know Dave Webster raised the question of nest=
ing birds. I wasn&#39;t sure how useful anecdotal reports would be. But I&#=
39;ll share three now anyway. I was monitoring a Red-eyed Vireo nest with 4=
 eggs on June 28. As is typical, it was artfully made well out on a small b=
ranch in the understory. When I checked after the storm, the branch with th=
e nest was on the wrong side of the main trunk of an adjacent small tree. T=
he nest was messy but still there. There was no sign of the eggs or nestlin=
gs. I&#39;m sure they were thrown out.<div>
a white spruce, in a regenerating field. The nest was beautifully placed on=
 one branch, with a different branch stiff and flat only about 1&quot; abov=
e. The nest was &quot;invisible&quot;; I only sensed that a bird had slippe=
d off as I walked by. This nest survived Arthur, with 4 eggs and the female=
 in place on July 8. But the permanent orientation of the two branches had =
been altered by the storm to the extent that the nest was easily seen from =
above. The nest was predated by July 13, something that I think would have =
been much less likely in the original orientation.</div>
man-made platform on Sunken Lake. The female stayed on the nest throughout =
the first half of Arthur when the wind was very strong from the east. There=
 was then the quiet period and then the wind came back very strong from the=
 south-west (?). As I have it, at that point she left the nest and did not =
come back. The eggs washed or blew out of the nest. Someone waded out &amp;=
 retrieved the eggs. I presume the storm carried on for several more hours.=
 I believe the eggs were taken to Hope for Wildlife (?) This one is all thi=
rd-hand but the core facts should be OK.</div>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
i&quot;;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:#000000;FONT-STYLE:normal;DISPLAY:inline">=
The=20
Scots Bay nest behind the community centre has 2 EAGLETS that managed to su=
rvive=20
Arthur&rsquo;s fury, if only just. The nest has been badly damaged, the eag=
lets were=20
on the ground the next day and one seemed to have an injury to a leg or tal=
on=20
[kept hanging it instead of grasping with it]. That seems to have resolved=
=20
itself and both are back in the nest or the branches/tree nearby. I haven&r=
squo;t seen=20
them fly, but they must have gotten back into the nest somehow.</div></div>
i&quot;;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:#000000;FONT-STYLE:normal;DISPLAY:inline">=
&nbsp;</div></div>
i&quot;;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:#000000;FONT-STYLE:normal;DISPLAY:inline">=
Many=20