[NatureNS] Scots Bay Eaglets and TS Arthur

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 14:30:05 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

trees/bushes that were hit by the spray [over 700 meters in from the shore =
--001a11345ee431011704fe52e137

I found a Blue-headed Vireo adult sitting on a nest low in a tree on our
property on the Friday afternoon. By the Sunday morning (after Arthur) a
large poplar had crashed into that tree, destroying it and the nest. The
poplar in which our B.Orioles nested this year (I think successfully) was
uprooted completely, and while surveying the damage I found an empty
Robin's nest on the ground near some downed and uprooted trees.  However,
in the overall scheme of things I suspect that the damage to nesting birds
from this sort of event in negligible compared to clear-cutting, corn
monoculture, use of neonicotenoids, badly controlled cats,  etc. etc.

Richard

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Rick Whitman <
dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> know about. I know Dave Webster raised the question of nesting birds. I
> wasn't sure how useful anecdotal reports would be. But I'll share three n=
ow
> anyway. I was monitoring a Red-eyed Vireo nest with 4 eggs on June 28. As
> is typical, it was artfully made well out on a small branch in the
> understory. When I checked after the storm, the branch with the nest was =
on
> the wrong side of the main trunk of an adjacent small tree. The nest was
> messy but still there. There was no sign of the eggs or nestlings. I'm su=
re
> they were thrown out.
>
> I was also following a Black-throated Green Warbler nest in a white
> spruce, in a regenerating field. The nest was beautifully placed on one
> branch, with a different branch stiff and flat only about 1" above. The
> nest was "invisible"; I only sensed that a bird had slipped off as I walk=
ed
> by. This nest survived Arthur, with 4 eggs and the female in place on Jul=
> 8. But the permanent orientation of the two branches had been altered by
> the storm to the extent that the nest was easily seen from above. The nes=
> was predated by July 13, something that I think would have been much less
> likely in the original orientation.
>
> Bernard Forsythe told me about a Common Loon nest on a man-made platform
> on Sunken Lake. The female stayed on the nest throughout the first half o=
> Arthur when the wind was very strong from the east. There was then the
> quiet period and then the wind came back very strong from the south-west
> (?). As I have it, at that point she left the nest and did not come back.
> The eggs washed or blew out of the nest. Someone waded out & retrieved th=
> eggs. I presume the storm carried on for several more hours. I believe th=
> eggs were taken to Hope for Wildlife (?) This one is all third-hand but t=
he
> core facts should be OK.
>
> Rick Whitman
>

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Ian McKay <ian@amimckay.com> wrote:
>
>>   The Scots Bay nest behind the community centre has 2 EAGLETS that
>> managed to survive Arthur=E2=80=99s fury, if only just. The nest has bee=
n badly
>> damaged, the eaglets were on the ground the next day and one seemed to h=
ave
>> an injury to a leg or talon [kept hanging it instead of grasping with it=
].
>> That seems to have resolved itself and both are back in the nest or the
>> branches/tree nearby. I haven=E2=80=99t seen them fly, but they must hav=
e gotten
>> back into the nest somehow.
>>
>>  Many trees down here. We really got hammered. Cape Split is a dangerous
>> mess and trees/bushes that were hit by the spray [over 700 meters in fro=
>> the shore in many cases] are salt burned and shedding leaves like it was

--=20
#################
Richard Stern,
Port Williams, NS, Canada
sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--001a11345ee431011704fe52e137

 a tree on our property on the Friday afternoon. By the Sunday morning (aft=
er Arthur) a large poplar had crashed into that tree, destroying it and the=
 nest. The poplar in which our B.Orioles nested this year (I think successf=
ully) was uprooted completely, and while surveying the damage I found an em=
pty Robin&#39;s nest on the ground near some downed and uprooted trees. =C2=
=A0However, in the overall scheme of things I suspect that the damage to ne=
sting birds from this sort of event in negligible compared to clear-cutting=
, corn monoculture, use of neonicotenoids, badly controlled cats, =C2=A0etc=
. etc.<div>

=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Rick Whitman <span dir=3D=
"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com" target=3D"_bl=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">Thanks Ian. There were like=
ly many impacts to wildlife that we will never know about. I know Dave Webs=
ter raised the question of nesting birds. I wasn&#39;t sure how useful anec=
dotal reports would be. But I&#39;ll share three now anyway. I was monitori=
ng a Red-eyed Vireo nest with 4 eggs on June 28. As is typical, it was artf=
ully made well out on a small branch in the understory. When I checked afte=
r the storm, the branch with the nest was on the wrong side of the main tru=
nk of an adjacent small tree. The nest was messy but still there. There was=
 no sign of the eggs or nestlings. I&#39;m sure they were thrown out.<div>

a white spruce, in a regenerating field. The nest was beautifully placed on=
 one branch, with a different branch stiff and flat only about 1&quot; abov=
e. The nest was &quot;invisible&quot;; I only sensed that a bird had slippe=
d off as I walked by. This nest survived Arthur, with 4 eggs and the female=
 in place on July 8. But the permanent orientation of the two branches had =
been altered by the storm to the extent that the nest was easily seen from =
above. The nest was predated by July 13, something that I think would have =
been much less likely in the original orientation.</div&