[NatureNS] Wooly Bear Caterpillars

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 06:28:45 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I was wondering how the moths make the sounds you mentioned. I did not find out the mechanism but did come across this article suggesting how the Tiger Moths may use these sounds to deter predators:
http://scienceblogs.com/neurophilosophy/2009/07/17/tiger-moths-jam-bat-sonar/

Must keep an ear out for this next season.

Nancy