Scope of NatureNS: Re: Long again: Re: Long: Re: [NatureNS] light

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 19:33:13 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_06C8_01D01C8B.CB489D70

Hi Nick & All                                            Dec 20, 2014
    The capsule description of the scope of NatureNS, copied from the =
"Welcome to NatureNS" e-mail is--

"Why have NatureNS

     The site is provided for the sharing of information on =20
1) the natural history of Nova Scotia and surrounding waters,=20
2) it's conservation, and=20
3) events and activities associated with it."

    All members are furnished with an effective weapon for posts they =
don't wish to read; the delete button. If this were a mechanical device =
then mine would have been worn out many times.

    My recent posts bear on possible ways to decrease acid rain and =
emission of greenhouse gasses. I think both are important topics in the =
context of conservation.=20

    There is a widespread myth that there is no practical way to store =
surplus wind energy and thus an ongoing need to continue thermal =
generation. NS Power finds this excuse convenient because pouring coal =
in one end of an existing pollution factory and getting power out the =
other end does not take a great deal of planning or coordination. In =
addition, the Donkin mine may open soon so it is possible that NSP will =
be encouraged to use this local resource as much as possible by =
expanding thermal generation capacity.=20

    Opposition to wind generation has often come strangely enough from =
Naturalists; organizations or individuals. This was helped I expect by a =
famous site in California that was set in a raptor migration channel in =
a mountain pass by, what a concidence, a Petrochemical Company. There =
may still be some opposition to wind on Naturens so I think refreshing =
the screen is justified.

    And for the benefit of those who have joined recently I will paste =
an old post--
START OF PASTE\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Dear All, Sept 12, 2007
Wind energy has some serious drawbacks that seem to have been=20
overlooked, the most serious being--
1) COST: How will increases in the cost of wind be absorbed into the=20
cost structure ?

2) MERCURY: Using wind to generate electrical power could result in less =

usage of coal and thus less Hg in the environment. With less Hg in the=20
environment, Loons might become low in Hg, ride higher in the water and=20
consequently become top-heavy and have a tendency to flip sideways and=20
gargle at critical points in the call.

3) SEA BIRDS: Using wind to generate electrical power could result in=20
less usage of oil and less oiling of birds at sea. This biocontrol helps =

to avoid overcrowding of sea bird colonies so a decrease in oil spills=20
could have serious consequences.

4) TREES: Using wind to generate electrical power could result in lower=20
concentrations of low-level Ozone, acid-rain and consequently lead to=20
less effective biocontrol of trees. And consequently, for example,=20
Spruce trees in the Annapolis Valley might begin to live longer than 80=20
years, posing dangerous navigation hazards to flying birds as compared=20
to a low cover of Heath, Sedge and Alder

5) AIR: Using wind to generate electrical power could result in a lower=20
incidence of smog alerts, respiratory ailments and presumably health=20
problems in birds or other air-breathing wildlife. A decrease in the=20
incidence of smog could increase life expectancy, cause overcrowding and =

increase the demand for electricity and nesting sites.

6) WIND: Using wind to generate electrical power is likely to slow the=20
wind down so that it doesn't get there on time, causing air pockets. The =

recent Westjet air-pocket incident, far from the nearest wind farm,=20
shows how dangerous this effect can be.

Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville

END OF PASTE\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Yt, DW