Scope of NatureNS: Re: Long again: Re: Long: Re: [NatureNS] light

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 20:00:13 -0500
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

    a technical society, 2nd ed., 1993), Chapter 8, the same ha
--------------090702070400070500060806

On 12/20/2014 6:33 PM, David & Alison Webster wrote:
>     Opposition to wind generation has often come strangely enough from
> Naturalists; organizations or individuals. This was helped I expect by
> a famous site in California that was set in a raptor migration channel
> in a mountain pass by, what a concidence, a Petrochemical Company.

* experience in Ontario has been that these "green" energy projects are
often put in by ecologically insensitive firms, prompting the new
provincial motto of Ontario "green is black."
http://www.saveostranderpoint.org/#sthash.LufTSMYD.dpbs is a tale of a
wind farm in an "important bird area" where the Ministry of the
Environment joined the "proponent's" appeal of a decision that the
project posed an unacceptable risk to a SAR, and the whole basis of the
Ontario Rivers Alliance http://www.ontarioriversalliance.ca/ was "green
is black" mesoscale hydro projects that were to be blotted all across
the norther part of the province -
http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.ca/2012/10/precious-wild-rivers-calendar-for-2013.html
- see my comments. Another instance of this single-purpose insensitivity
is the solar farms that are put in with no concern for Species at Risk
that might be encouraged to live among the panels.

Just as is the case with massive certified-organic agriculture, if we're
going to have green infrastructure it must be green all the way down -
which will require substantial re-education of the industrial/financial
sorts - it's not enough that politicians respond to the need to make
alternative sources of energy useable - these installations must be
installed with ecological sensitivity to the local sites, and in
consultation with the local Human population.

fred.

--
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/

--------------090702070400070500060806

  <head>
  </head>
      Alison Webster wrote:<br>
      type="cite">
        enough from Naturalists; organizations or individuals. This was
        helped I expect by a famous site in California that was set in a
        raptor migration channel in a mountain pass by, what a
        concidence, a Petrochemical Company. </div>
    * experience in Ontario has been that these "green" energy projects
    are often put in by ecologically insensitive firms, prompting the
    new provincial motto of Ontario "green is black." <a
      href="http://www.saveostranderpoint.org/#sthash.LufTSMYD.dpbs">http://www.saveostranderpoint.org/#sthash.LufTSMYD.dpbs</a>
    is a tale of a wind farm in an "important bird area" where the
    Ministry of the Environment joined the "proponent's" appeal of a
    decision that the project posed an unacceptable risk to a SAR, and
    the whole basis of the Ontario Rivers Alliance <a
      href="http://www.ontarioriversalliance.ca/">http://www.ontarioriversalliance.ca/</a>
    was "green is black" mesoscale hydro projects that were to be
    blotted all across the norther part of the province - <a
href="http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.ca/2012/10/precious-wild-rivers-calendar-for-2013.html">http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.ca/2012/10/precious-wild-rivers-calendar-for-2013.html</a>
    - see my comments. Another instance of this single-purpose
    insensitivity is the solar farms that are put in with no concern for
    Species at Risk that might be encouraged to live among the panels.<br>
    Just as is the case with massive certified-organic agriculture, if
    we're going to have green infrastructure it must be green all the
    way down - which will require substantial re-education of the
    industrial/financial sorts - it's not enough that politicians
    respond to the need to make alternative sources of energy useable -
    these installations must be installed with ecological sensitivity to
    the local sites, and in consultation with the local Human
    population.<br>
    fred.<br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
          Frederick W. Schueler &amp; Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
    (613)258-3107 &lt;bckcdb at istar.ca&gt; http://pinicola.ca/
</pre>

--------------090702070400070500060806--