[NatureNS] Insect Recovery Project seeking BOD

From: Mary Macaulay <marymacaulay@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 13:00:10 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

  href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca"&gt;naturens@chebuct
--Apple-Mail-2136FE97-A6E4-437E-81DF-2B0B02C042B0

Thank-you David.=20

With kindest regards,

Mary (Macaulay), P.Eng.
1-902-293-1533
Twitter @maryemacaulay
Twitter @insectrecovery
http://insectrecovery.org

> On Jan 28, 2015, at 9:43 AM, David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com> w=
rote:
>=20
> Hi Mary,
>     Congratulations on taking this huge but desirable undertaking on.
> Dave
edia initiative to raise awareness of the precipitous global insect decline a=
nd to try to influence policy makers, and those pushing intensive chemical u=
se on    land to change direction. I have been doing this by sharing good ne=
ws stories about insects and drawing attention and concern to their global d=
ecline by focussing on charismatic species such as bees, butterflies, dragon=
flies and fireflies.=20
>=20
> However, when I started the project a couple of years ago I set a goal tha=
t if/when the Twitter following hit 2000 I'd consider that enough support to=
 try to get it charitable status. It has now exceeded that. The LinkedIn con=
nections are picking up steam as well with over 2000; many of them insect, c=
onservation, naturalist, or ecology experts. I share scientific articles the=
y post as appropriate.=20
>=20
> The website you refer to, is a venue to carry the Twitter feed for those w=
ho don't use social media. The Twitter feed itself is now populated through L=
inkedIn. There is also a Facebook page which is fed by the resulting Twitter=
 feed. It's amazing how powerful social media can be!
>=20
> I have a substantial depth of experience running not for profits. My CV is=
 publicly available on LinkedIn and includes recommendations and endorsement=
s for you to view.=20
>=20
> As for the startup board of directors. Their role will be to delineate the=
 mission and vision of the project and direct growth. I have a broad depth o=
f experience running and fundraising for nonprofits and so, at first can do a=
ll the paperwork and admin.=20
>=20
> I would like to see the project continue the social media education but ad=
d on a membership and fundraising arm to support baseline invertebrate surve=
ys and atlases, pollinator studies, meadow and wetland conservation (particu=
larly for bee and dragonfly habitat), school programs, conferences, and very=
 importantly, local, regional, national and international advocacy to change=
 the attitude that "insects are the enemy" in the most diplomatic but effect=
ive way possible. I'm hoping the new board will help me flesh this out. They=
 would not need to do the grunt work but rather be there for visioning, poli=
cy and direction.
>=20
> There is definitely interest and support from the public. I'm often asked h=
ow/where people can contribute to the cause. I could be taking their money n=
ow and pocketing it! It's because this is legitimate that I'm not doing that=
. I    believe this is a very serious global issue and that the project shou=
ld apply for charitable status to move it forward.=20
>=20
> As for the inaugural BOD, I would like to keep it small at the outset but h=
ave at least 3.=20
>=20
> Thanks again for your question Steve. If this has sparked your interest in=
 joining the BOD please email me off list.
>=20
> With kindest regards,
>=20
> Mary (Macaulay), P.Eng.
> 1-902-293-1533
> Twitter @maryemacaulay
> Twitter @insectrecovery
> http://insectrecovery.org
>=20
>=20
>> On Jan 27, 2015, at 8:25 PM, Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca> wrote:
>>=20
>> Hi Mary: This is a general comment so I'm sending it back to the list.=20=

>> I checked the site you mentioned at the bottom and there is NO descriptiv=
e info there or anywhere else connecting, just a brief homily about disappea=
ring insects. =20
>> The queenbee@insect... you recommend is not listed on the site anywhere I=
 could see (???). Why not?
>> At the bottom right, the 'Entries RSS' and 'Comments RSS' both returned a=
 'page not found' when I clicked on each.  The next item 'WordPress.org' wor=
ks, but is simply an advertisement for the software apparently used to const=
ruct the site's display -- such as it is.
>> Based on a 5 min examination of the web site, I'd say that it looks to be=
 an amateur-night operation of little value.  As an insectophile and potenti=
al convert, I wouldn't want to be associated with it as it stands.  Are you s=
ure the whole thing is not some sort of scam?
half of Mary Macaulay [marymacaulay@hotmail.com]
>> Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 11:29 AM
>> To: Nature Nova Scotia
>> Subject: [NatureNS] Insect Recovery Project seeking BOD
>>=20
>> The Insect Recovery Project (IRP) is applying for charitable status and i=
s seeking interest from those concerned about the general decline of insects=
 and the effect this has on ecosystems to sit on the inaugural Board of Dire=
ctors (BOD). Although the project is global in scope, members of the startup=
 BOD should be resident in Nova Scotia. For more information please email of=
fline (not as a reply to this email because it will go to the whole list) us=
ing either queenbee@insectrecovery.org or      marymacaulay@hotmail.com.