[NatureNS] Birds and Coffee

From: Kate Steele <katefsteele@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 20:36:20 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

uot;a year without Tim&amp;#39;s&amp;quot;.&lt;span&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;br&gt;&l
--089e013c5ca8d3e43c0511d4e8a2

Thanks, John and James for starting this discussion!

I agree with you, John - I wish they had have put in a 'plug' for the
bird-friendly certification. I have also attempted to speak with the folks
at Just Us about getting the certification, but they never responded to my
phone calls or emails. I would certainly be willing to pay more for a
certified bird-friendly product to help cover the cost of acquiring the
certification.

James: Great ideas! I'm very proud to say that the Nova Scotia Bird Society
serves Just Us coffee at our meetings. To my knowledge, there is nowhere in
Nova Scotia where certified bird-friendly coffee can be purchased, but I do
drink Birds and Beans that was purchased online. I thought I heard once
that the NSBS did have a program at one point where bird-friendly coffee
was purchased en masse and distributed to our members - someone correct me
if I have that wrong. I think the best goal to focus on would be to have
bird-friendly coffee available to purchase more widely - either by bringing
Birds and Beans to Nova Scotia, or by having Just Us certified
bird-friendly. Chris and I watched Songbird SOS on Thursday evening (as I
hope many others did) with Chris' mom, who has since decided that she would
like to start drinking Bird and Beans to help save the birds (she currently
drinks Just Us). If a non-birder thinks it worthwhile, I think there's hope=
!

In 2014 I made it my New Year's resolution to drink only bird-friendly
coffee or the next-best thing - I was successful and have maintained it in
2015 as well, but I never thought to write a blog!

Kate

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 3:53 PM, James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com=

wrote:

> [...]
> meetings, school groups)
> - subsidizing shipment of bird friendly coffee to the area from Birds and
> Beans or other certified companies (e.g., 'order bird friendly coffee
> through BNS or the NSBS or Bird Studies Canada and receive a 15%
> discount'); for organizations we could consider this as a
> donation/ investment for bird conservation
> - starting a listserv or Facebook group devoted to constructive
> discussions around this
> - putting a blurb on our webpages
>
>  - it could also be a great topic for a blog or yearly challenge: a big
> bird-friendly coffee year (writing about daily challenges finding it,
> discussions with people etc), or "a year without Tim's".
>
> If you have other ideas on speakers or opportunities BNS could be involve=
> in, please pass them along here, to Jameslchurchill@gmail.com, or the BNS
> Facebook group.
>
> Thanks to John for initiating this conversation.
>
> Cheers,
>

> On Saturday, March 21, 2015, John Kearney <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I watched the Songbird SOS program that was first aired Thursday night o=
>> the Nature of Things. It was good to see the number of Canadian scientis=
ts
>> that were featured. A longer program could have featured many more I=E2=
=80=99m
>> sure. With my interest in acoustic monitoring, I was pleased to see how
>> they used this technology to demonstrate the extent of nocturnal migrati=
on
>> and what it sounds like.
>>

>> The piece on forest-grown coffee was well done but didn=E2=80=99t go int=
o what
>> the individual consumer can do to encourage the expansion of forest-grow=
>> coffee. There is a Canadian supplier of certified bird friendly, forest
>> grown coffee, Birds and Beans. They have a video on their website
>> explaining what this certification means, and you can order certified
>> coffee from them online. The website is birdsandbeans.ca. The scientist
>> featured at the beginning and end of Songbird SOS, Bridget Stutchbury, h=
as
>> sponsored some of their blends.
>>

>> I have tried to initiate a dialogue on several occasions with Just Us in
>> Grand Pre about bird certified blends but have had no success so far. Th=
ey
>> claim much of their coffee is shade-grown so why not go through the bird
>> certification process, a process that they insist is indispensable when =
it
>> comes to fair trade. Given the alarming declines in bird populations as
>> emphasized in this TV program, it is time for us to demand that coffee
>> companies provide proof that their products have been certified by an
>> independent agency as promoting the conservation of birds.

put in a &#39;plug&#39; for the bird-friendly certification. I have also at=
#39;m very proud to say that the Nova Scotia Bird Society serves Just Us co=
ffee at our meetings. To my knowledge, there is nowhere in Nova Scotia wher=
e certified bird-friendly coffee can be purchased, but I do drink Birds and=
 Beans that was purchased online. I thought I heard once that the NSBS did =
have a program at one point where bird-friendly coffee was purchased en mas=
se and distributed to our members - someone correct me if I have that wrong=
. I think the best goal to focus on would be to have bird-friendly coffee a=
vailable to purchase more widely - either by bringing Birds and Beans to No=
va Scotia, or by having Just Us certified bird-friendly. Chris and I watche=
d Songbird SOS on Thursday evening (as I hope many others did) with Chris&#=
39; mom, who has since decided that she would like to start drinking Bird a=
nd Beans to help save the birds (she currently drinks Just Us). If a non-bi=
 made it my New Year&#39;s resolution to drink only bird-friendly coffee or=
 the next-best thing - I was successful and have maintained it in 2015 as w=
lass=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at=
 3:53 PM, James Churchill <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jameslchu=
rchill@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">jameslchurchill@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span=
> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;bo=
rder-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi folks,=C2=A0<div>I have not y=
ffee=C2=A0=C2=A0is an extremely important one.=C2=A0I know the NS Bird Soci=
ety has discussed it on occasion. BNS has not yet. There needs to be more d=
iscussion/awareness of differences in certifications and brands in terms of=
 their benefit to birds, and where and how we can introduce more bird frien=
dly coffee into our days=C2=A0and events of our organizations.=C2=A0</div><=
on=C2=A0to currently trying to=C2=A0line up a screening of &#39;The Messeng=
er&#39; documentary in the area (followed up by discussion), I&#39;d like t=
o help=C2=A0get some more discussion going around bird friendly and &#39;Bi=
rd Friendly&#39; coffee too. This could include, among other things, an inv=
s/organizations=C2=A0could be promoting bird friendly coffee by:</div><div>=
-=C2=A0serving it=C2=A0at our events</div><div>- encouraging local fair tra=
de coffee=C2=A0companies to seek &#39;bird friendly&#39; certification</div=
ght the benefits=C2=A0</div><div>- making web=C2=A0maps of locations in NS=
=C2=A0where bird friendly coffee can be bought when out birding and need a=
=C2=A0caffeine fix - start with our birding hotspots</div><div>- donating b=
ird friendly coffee to events held by=C2=A0other groups (e.g., town meeting=
s, school groups)</div><div>- subsidizing shipment of bird friendly coffee =
to the area from Birds and Beans or other certified companies (e.g., &#39;o=
rder bird friendly coffee through BNS or the NSBS or Bird Studies Canada an=
d receive a 15% discount&#39;); for organizations we could consider this as=
 a donation/=C2=A0investment for bird=C2=A0conservation</div><div>- startin=
g a listserv or Facebook group devoted to constructive discussions around t=
=C2=A0-=C2=A0it could also=C2=A0be a great topic for a blog or yearly chall=
enge: a big bird-friendly coffee year (writing about daily challenges findi=
ng it, discussions with people=C2=A0etc), or &quot;a year without Tim&#39;s=
 speakers or opportunities BNS could be involved in, please pass them along=
 here,=C2=A0to=C2=A0<a>Jameslchurchill@gmail.com</a>,=C2=A0or the BNS Faceb=
kquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #cc=
c solid;padding-left:1ex"><div link=3D"blue" vlink=3D"purple" lang=3D"EN-CA=
"><div><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&=
libri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">I watched the Songbird SOS program that=
 was first aired Thursday night on the Nature of Things. It was good to see=
 the number of Canadian scientists that were featured. A longer program cou=
ld have featured many more I=E2=80=99m sure. With my interest in acoustic m=
onitoring, I was pleased to see how they used this technology to demonstrat=
/span></p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;font-famil=
p><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;=
Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">The piece on forest-grown coffee was =
well done but didn=E2=80=99t go into what the individual consumer can do to=
 encourage the expansion of forest-grown coffee. There is a Canadian suppli=
er of certified bird friendly, forest grown coffee, Birds and Beans. They h=
ave a video on their website explaining what this certification means, and =
you can order certified coffee from them online. The website is <a href=3D"=
http://birdsandbeans.ca" target=3D"_blank">birdsandbeans.ca</a>. The scient=
ist featured at the beginning and end of Songbird SOS, Bridget Stutchbury, =
Normal"><span style=3D"font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&qu=
serif&quot;">I have tried to initiate a dialogue on several occasions with =
Just Us in Grand Pre about bird certified blends but have had no success so=
 far. They claim much of their coffee is shade-grown so why not go through =
the bird certification process, a process that they insist is indispensable=
 when it comes to fair trade. Given the alarming declines in bird populatio=
ns as emphasized in this TV program, it is time for us to demand that coffe=
e companies provide proof that their products have been certified by an ind=
lor=3D"#888888">
r><a href=3D"mailto:jameslchurchill@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">jameslchur=
chill@gmail.com</a><br><a href=3D"tel:%28902%29%20681-2374" value=3D"+19026=

--089e013c5ca8d3e43c0511d4e8a2--