[NatureNS] Common Mergansers

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 04:25:07 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

The  2 male Common Mergansers seen last week were joined by 3 females in the growing patch of open water at the outflow of Lake Torment, E Dalhousie, Kings Co, yesterday. Lots of splashing and chasing going on. The lake itself looks like it will break up soon, giving them access to their lakeside nest holes which, in my experience on this lake, are always very near the shore- unlike the Wood Duck cavities which can be quite a bit farther back in the woods.

Ice-out always happens suddenly, practically overnight, on relatively large L Torment. We used to place bets on the ice-out date.

Nancy