[NatureNS] Lapland/Laconia Owl Monitoring Route

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 04:16:48 +0000

--_de5fd2a4-f53a-4b7a-b6ab-dfceb4a50e0e_

I completed the first of three owl monitoring routes that I run this evenin=
g.  Definitely a different type of year compared to others.  The route done=
 was Lapland/Laconia and I was a week later than normal for going on this r=
oute.  Normally=2C there would be tons of spring peepers and woodfrogs.  To=
night none.  Of course I started out at -4 and ended with -8.  The roadside=
 and in the woods ranged from one foot to two feet of snow.  I've never had=
 snow when running this route on Apr. 11.  All roads were bare=2C but the g=
ravel road section had pillons everywhere marking deep holes.  It was the d=
arkest night that I've ever run this route.  The sky was clear and the star=
s brilliant=2C but no moon.  I couldn't see anything once out of the car wi=
thout a flashlight on.  Even the residential areas were unusually dark.  I =
ran the route myself=2C but did get owls on three out of ten stops.  I had =
one northern saw-whet=2C which was very vocal.  Even when the barred owl ca=
lls happened=2C the saw-whet still kept calling.  It was vocalizing at ever=
y section of the monitoring and at the end came closer than it was to me wh=
en I began.  It was not far away to begin with.  At one stop I had two barr=
ed owls and a great horned owl.  These three owls were very vocal.  At the =
last stop I heard one barred owl but just after the first barred owl playba=
ck.  So five owls total.  Another big difference was a lack of traffic with=
 only two vehicles during the survey period.  Also=2C it was the quietest t=
hat I've ever seen it on this route.  There were fewer vocal dogs and less =
jets/planes. Less loud running water as well.  Silence reined at most stops=
 when usually there was a lot of external noise in the distance.  Anyhow=2C=
 one down and two to go. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
LaHave =20
 		 	   		  =

--_de5fd2a4-f53a-4b7a-b6ab-dfceb4a50e0e_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
6">I&nbsp=3Bcompleted the first of three owl monitoring routes that I run t=
his evening.&nbsp=3B Definitely a different type of year compared to others=
.&nbsp=3B The route done was Lapland/Laconia and I was a week later than no=
rmal for going on this route.&nbsp=3B Normally=2C there would be tons of sp=
ring peepers and woodfrogs.&nbsp=3B Tonight none.&nbsp=3B Of course I start=
ed out at -4 and ended with -8.&nbsp=3B The roadside and in the woods range=
d from one foot to two feet of snow.&nbsp=3B I've never had snow when runni=
ng this route on Apr. 11.&nbsp=3B All roads were bare=2C but the&nbsp=3Bgra=
vel road section had pillons everywhere marking deep holes.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B=
It was the darkest night that I've ever run this route.&nbsp=3B The sky was=
&nbsp=3Bclear and the stars brilliant=2C but no moon.&nbsp=3B I couldn't se=
e anything once out of the car without a flashlight on.&nbsp=3B Even the re=
sidential areas were unusually dark.&nbsp=3B I ran the&nbsp=3Broute myself=
=2C but did get owls on three out of ten stops.&nbsp=3B I had one northern =
saw-whet=2C which was&nbsp=3Bvery vocal.&nbsp=3B Even when the barred owl c=
alls happened=2C the saw-whet still kept calling.&nbsp=3B It was vocalizing=
 at every section of the monitoring and at the end came closer than it was =
to me when I began.&nbsp=3B It was not far away to begin with.&nbsp=3B At o=
ne stop I had two barred owls and a great horned owl.&nbsp=3B These three o=
wls were very vocal.&nbsp=3B At the last stop I heard one barred owl but ju=
st after the first barred owl playback.&nbsp=3B So five owls total.&nbsp=3B=
 Another big difference was a lack of traffic with only two vehicles during=
 the survey period.&nbsp=3B Also=2C it was the quietest that I've ever seen=
 it on this route.&nbsp=3B There were fewer vocal dogs and less jets/planes=
.&nbsp=3BLess loud running water as well.&nbsp=3B Silence reined at most st=
ops when usually there was a lot of external noise in the distance.&nbsp=3B=
 Anyhow=2C one down and two to go.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B</font><BR><font color=3D=
"#000000" size=3D"6"></font>&nbsp=3B<BR><font color=3D"#000000" size=3D"6">=
James R. Hirtle</font><BR><font color=3D"#000000" size=3D"6">LaHave&nbsp=3B=

--_de5fd2a4-f53a-4b7a-b6ab-dfceb4a50e0e_--