[NatureNS] book loan request: Downie and Arnett's Beetle's ofNE NA

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 09:06:49 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c2d49a55d8980514c7b4ee

Thanks folks.

I guess I thought NovaNet *was* the equivalent to interlibrary loan, so I
didn't pursue it. I did see it in Google Books, but I couldn't find a text
download...it's certainly not old enough to be in the public domain, and I
guess the publishers have not released it.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 28 April 2015 at 04:11, nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com> wrote:

> If all else fails, perhaps the owning institution may copy or scan the
> section of the book you are interested in (aquatic beetles) and send it t=
> you- a question for the St FX university librarians. In the public librar=
> system we have gotten copied portions of non-lendable reference materials
> for patrons.
>
> Doing a search online brings up several sites such as google books:
> http://books.google.ca/books/about/The_Beetles_of_Northeastern_North_Amer=
ic.html?id=3DA8y5QgAACAAJ&redir_esc=3Dy
> which may or may not allow you to download the text. Many out-of-print
> books have been scanned and are available as PDF files. Another thing the
> librarians would be able to find out for you.
>
> Of course, a complete print copy in hand is probably of most use to you.
>
> Nancy
> On 2015-04-27, at 11:40 PM, plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:
>
> > Randy,
> >
> > (Giving in to my inner Librarian ...)  Have you asked the StFX
> librarians to bring it in for you on Interlibrary Loan? It does seem to b=
> uncommon; there aren't many locations recorded in Canada in WorldCat. The
> nearest copy is in the Reference collection at UNB (so not borrowable), b=
ut
> Carleton University has it in its library, and their copy can be borrowed=
.

> > If you had it in hand, you might find that you could photocopy the keys=
,
> for continued use.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Patricia L. Chalmers
> > Halifax
> >

> > ---- Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I could really use a copy of "*The Beetles of Northeastern North
> America* =E2=80=93
> >> volume one (at least I suspect that's where the keys to all the aquati=
> >> beetles would be), by Downie and Arnett. Apparently, this useful book =
is
> >> quite rare. Neither Chapters nor Amazon carry it. I cannot find it on
> >> Novanet, the interlibrary search engine. And no one around the world i=
> >> posting a copy on Abe Books, my go-to source for books.
> >>
> >> Anyone have a copy that they're willing to loan (or sell)?
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >> Randy
> >> _________________________________
> >> RF Lauff
> >> Way in the boonies of
> >> Antigonish County, NS.

--001a11c2d49a55d8980514c7b4ee

 <i>was</i>=C2=A0the equivalent to interlibrary loan, so I didn&#39;t pursu=
e it. I did see it in Google Books, but I couldn&#39;t find a text download=
...it&#39;s certainly not old enough to be in the public domain, and I gues=
_signature">_________________________________<br>RF Lauff<br>Way in the boo=
dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:nancypdowd@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">n=
te" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"=
>If all else fails, perhaps the owning institution may copy or scan the sec=
tion of the book you are interested in (aquatic beetles) and send it to you=
- a question for the St FX university librarians. In the public library sys=
tem we have gotten copied portions of non-lendable reference materials for =
patrons.<br>
Doing a search online brings up several sites such as google books: <a href=
=3D"http://books.google.ca/books/about/The_Beetles_of_Northeastern_North_Am=
eric.html?id=3DA8y5QgAACAAJ&amp;redir_esc=3Dy" target=3D"_blank">http://boo=
ks.google.ca/books/about/The_Beetles_of_Northeastern_North_Americ.html?id=
=3DA8y5QgAACAAJ&amp;redir_esc=3Dy</a> which may or may not allow you to dow=
nload the text. Many out-of-print books have been scanned and are available=
 as PDF files. Another thing the librarians would be able to find out for y=
ou.<br>
Of course, a complete print copy in hand is probably of most use to you.<br=

Nancy<br>
40 PM, <a href=3D"mailto:plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca">plchalmers@ns.sympatic=
o.ca</a> wrote:<br>
&gt; Randy,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; (Giving in to my inner Librarian ...)=C2=A0 Have you asked the StFX li=
brarians to bring it in for you on Interlibrary Loan? It does seem to be un=
common; there aren&#39;t many locations recorded in Canada in WorldCat. The=
 nearest copy is in the Reference collection at UNB (so not borrowable), bu=
t Carleton University has it in its library, and their copy can be borrowed=
.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; If you had it in hand, you might find that you could photocopy the key=
s, for continued use.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Cheers,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Patricia L. Chalmers<br>
&gt; Halifax<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; ---- Randy Lauff &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:randy.lauff@gmail.com">randy.la=
uff@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; I could really use a copy of &quot;*The Beetles of Northeastern No=
rth America* =E2=80=93<br>
&gt;&gt; volume one (at least I suspect that&#39;s where the keys to all th=
e aquatic<br>
&gt;&gt; beetles would be), by Downie and Arnett. Apparently, this u