[NatureNS] Bumble Bees

From: Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:36:10 -0200

--_1358cb4b-7286-4dde-8256-561ca9731a21_

=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
Two of the NS bumble bees=2C Bombus impatiens & B. vagans=2C are first foun=
d around mid-May (Queens can be earlier) & are common & regular through the=
 summer. Bombus ternarius (Tri-colored Bumble Bee) started to show up in so=
me numbers about two weeks ago & are now quite common especially in open ar=
eas near woods. They will become the dominant bumble bee in most parts of N=
S through the summer into the late fall.=20

There are five other bumble bee species listed for NS & four cuckoo bumble =
species. All can be considered rare to uncommon here & some are in moderate=
 to steep decline across their ranges. So far this summer I have only noted=
 one of these (two sightings).

We have a large stand of Oregano (garden escape) on our property. Although =
almost finished now I have noted numerous impatiens & vagans on them but no=
 ternarius.

A few days ago I discovered a good stand of Knapweed still in blossom & vir=
tually all bumble bees on them were ternarius.

There are very few flies this summer although a few tachinids have appeared=
 recently. These should be quite common by now. There are  always a few spe=
cies of hover flies (Eristalis) but this summer there are few aphids. Since=
 larvae of many hover fly species feed on aphids I wonder if their populati=
ons will be much lower next year.=20

The above comments may not apply everywhere in NS. Different opinions are w=
elcomed.

Angus
=0A=
 		 	   		  =

--_1358cb4b-7286-4dde-8256-561ca9731a21_

<head>
</head>
=0A=
.hmmessage P=0A=
{=0A=
margin:0px=3B=0A=
padding:0px=0A=
}=0A=
body.hmmessage=0A=
{=0A=
font-size: 12pt=3B=0A=
font-family:Calibri=0A=
}=0A=
--></style>=0A=
agans=2C are first found around mid-May (Queens can be earlier) &amp=3B are=
 common &amp=3B regular through the summer. Bombus ternarius (Tri-colored B=
umble Bee) started to show up in some numbers about two weeks ago &amp=3B a=
re now quite common especially in open areas near woods. They will become t=
he dominant bumble bee in most parts of NS through the summer into the late=
 fall. <br><br>There are five other bumble bee species listed for NS &amp=
=3B four cuckoo bumble species. All can be considered rare to uncommon here=
 &amp=3B some are in moderate to steep decline across their ranges. So far =
this summer I have only noted one of these (two sightings).<br><br>We have =
a large stand of Oregano (garden escape) on our property. Although almost f=
inished now I have noted numerous impatiens &amp=3B vagans on them but no t=
ernarius.<br><br>A few days ago I discovered a good stand of Knapweed still=
 in blossom &amp=3B virtually all bumble bees on them were ternarius.<br><b=
r>There are very few flies this summer although a few tachinids have appear=
ed recently. These should be quite common by now. There are&nbsp=3B always =
a few species of hover flies (Eristalis) but this summer there are few aphi=
ds. Since larvae of many hover fly species feed on aphids I wonder if their=
 populations will be much lower next year. <br><br>The above comments may n=
ot apply everywhere in NS. Different opinions are welcomed.<br><br>Angus<br=

--_1358cb4b-7286-4dde-8256-561ca9731a21_--