[NatureNS] Red Herring & Forestry

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=208.103.231.40; helo=D58WQPH1; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: "David & Alison Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 19:41:11 -0400

&gt;             Also as an aside, one learns by making mistakes and I have learned much that way. For example in 1971 I bought a woodlot south of Wolfville with the view that the best way to protect woodland wa
Hi Larry & All,                        Jan 10, 2016
    My reference to light thinning was directed to overstocked young trees;
especially conifers. It has been my sad experience that if young conifers
are not thinned sufficiently in time then all it takes is one dry spell and
patches +50' across die in a block. This open space will be replaced 5-20
years later by a thicket of Fir and so the cycle repeats itself.
    Thinning young deciduous trees is another matter. I thinned a thicket of
small Ash in 1981. 35' later it is still a thicket of small Ash.
    A patch of Spruce that shed needles in 2000, and soon clear cut by chain
saw with care to spare hardwood when possible, now has a good number of ~40'
Ash and an understory of Glossy Buckthorn which will help suppress further
Ash seedlings.
    So sometimes things turn out as planned, but increasingly weather plays
a trump card. The forecast for tonight; 90 km/hr wind and 25 mm rain on wet
soil sounds like a rerun of Dec 13 2010.

    Getting back to the forest environment. I hunted every year for 30+
years; Rabbit & Deer mostly and when possible hunted on snow so I could see
intensity of activity of all kinds. Those great stands of large attractive
hardwood were, so far as ground animals or anything which sometimes landed
to leave tracks, mostly barren of activity. Any deer tracks would be just a
bee line to the other side, and usually none, while thickets in the same
area near or on a bog, stream, 1-20 yr clearcut or tangle of 'scrub' would
be laced with activity of Rabbit, Bobcat, Deer, ... The same applies to
Moose; sparse bee lines in those great looking large hardwood and a lacework
of tracks in nearby ~10 yr old clearcut where there was feed and shelter.
    Provided there are not too many towns and residential areas in their
path, wildlife will not need special passageways to travel anywhere in
mainland NS. The hazard to land-bound wildlife and low-flying birds is
highway traffic.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville