[NatureNS] WB Nuthatch behaviour

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 14:50:14 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Two of the many White Breasted Nuthatches that patronize our feeders were zooming around through the tress in their usual erratic way this afternoon. Then they both stopped on the tree the sunflower tube hangs on and one of them went down and took a seed, hiked back up and fed it to the other one. It did this two more times before they both took off in different directions. This seemed like pair formation behaviour to me except they both had black caps, rather than gray, which suggests they are males. Or is cap colour not a reliable feature to separated WB Nuthatch sexes?

Yesterday I had my first Purple Finches this winter among the Goldfinches and Siskins. Just two and I have not seen them again today. No Redpolls here yet this year.

Nancy
E Dalhousie, Kngs Co.