[NatureNS] re no-go! for Never Forgotten Mother Canada Memorial

Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 15:43:22 -0400
From: Doug Linzey <doug.linzey@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;div&gt;Nick&lt;/div&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;div class=3D"gmail_extra"&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;div class
--001a11c2ff1c0fcda7052b334c4b

Don't forget that the Ingonish course goes back to an earlier era (the
'30s, I  believe).  Besides, it was built as a links course  - -  minimal
interference with nature, walking only. So at least until recent
"improvements" it was not much of a burden. If  anything, it may have
attracted visitors who might never have otherwise entered a national park.

As for its impact today, I can't comment, but it may bear looking into.

Doug Linzey
On Feb 7, 2016 10:47 AM, "Nicholas Hill" <fernhillns@gmail.com> wrote:

> Exactly..carved out of a wilderness..similar phrasing was used by the
> developer of Dartmouth Crossing who wrote about transforming a wasteland
> into something worthwhile. That wasteland was wilderness.
>
> Golf is a harder sell, particularly where it undermines ecological
> integrity. Old farms would be a better fit for a golf course.
>
> Nick
>
> On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 10:41 AM, N Robinson <nrobbyn@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Great videos, but too short.
>>
>> I was shocked to find we have a golf course in a national park, in Cape
>> Breton,  "carved out of one of Canada"s most pristine wildernesses" ...!
>>
>> From Parks Canada website:
>> http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ns/cbreton/activ/golf.aspx
>>
>> "The Highlands Links Golf Course is one of a kind.  Conceived and
>> constructed under the watchful eye of world-renowned designer Stanley
>> Thompson, it is a classic 18-hole, par 72 links course carved out of one=
 of
>> Canada's most pristine wildernesses."
>>
>> Nancy
>>

>> On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It is good to point this out, John.
>>>
>>> The voice of the biologist/ecologist has been muted under some new
>>> policies and =E2=80=98rules=E2=80=99.  Perhaps the present government w=
ill turn this
>>> around.  There were those who spoke out from the safety of retirement; =
some
>>> who had occupied very high places within the organization.  There was a
>>> letter signed by several of them.  Additionally, there are these utube
>>> videos (links below).   They =E2=80=98say it all=E2=80=99.   I trained =
as a Park Warden
>>> with Kevin Van Tigum back in 1993 in Jasper; a very gifted man and
>>> excellent naturalist, too.   (Back then I was adamant to find during my
>>> spare time the =E2=80=9Cdipper bird=E2=80=9D that I=E2=80=99d seen on a=
 documentary.  Kevin took on
>>> the task and hosted an unforgettable western birding experience.)
>>>

>>> Those of us who are still in the system have been warned to be careful.
>>>   Sending this email is questionable.  Maybe things will change now, bu=
>>> Canadians need to remain vigilant on how THEIR national parks are run, =
and
>>> speak out when they feel the mandate is being ignored.
>>>

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DtGmlqGPMQ_k
>>>

>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D1qZFT9D8Vpk

On

&