[NatureNS] re no-go! for Never Forgotten Mother Canada Memorial

Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 12:44:02 -0400
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

	{mso-style-prior
--001a113ea5f0b1bfe8052b30cae5

Exactly..carved out of a wilderness..similar phrasing was used by the
developer of Dartmouth Crossing who wrote about transforming a wasteland
into something worthwhile. That wasteland was wilderness.

Golf is a harder sell, particularly where it undermines ecological
integrity. Old farms would be a better fit for a golf course.

Nick

On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 10:41 AM, N Robinson <nrobbyn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Great videos, but too short.
>
> I was shocked to find we have a golf course in a national park, in Cape
> Breton,  "carved out of one of Canada"s most pristine wildernesses" ...!
>
> From Parks Canada website:
> http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ns/cbreton/activ/golf.aspx
>
> "The Highlands Links Golf Course is one of a kind.  Conceived and
> constructed under the watchful eye of world-renowned designer Stanley
> Thompson, it is a classic 18-hole, par 72 links course carved out of one =
of
> Canada's most pristine wildernesses."
>
> Nancy
>

> On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> It is good to point this out, John.
>>
>> The voice of the biologist/ecologist has been muted under some new
>> policies and =E2=80=98rules=E2=80=99.  Perhaps the present government wi=
ll turn this
>> around.  There were those who spoke out from the safety of retirement; s=
ome
>> who had occupied very high places within the organization.  There was a
>> letter signed by several of them.  Additionally, there are these utube
>> videos (links below).   They =E2=80=98say it all=E2=80=99.   I trained a=
s a Park Warden
>> with Kevin Van Tigum back in 1993 in Jasper; a very gifted man and
>> excellent naturalist, too.   (Back then I was adamant to find during my
>> spare time the =E2=80=9Cdipper bird=E2=80=9D that I=E2=80=99d seen on a =
documentary.  Kevin took on
>> the task and hosted an unforgettable western birding experience.)
>>

>> Those of us who are still in the system have been warned to be careful.
>>   Sending this email is questionable.  Maybe things will change now, but
>> Canadians need to remain vigilant on how THEIR national parks are run, a=
nd
>> speak out when they feel the mandate is being ignored.
>>

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DtGmlqGPMQ_k
>>

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D1qZFT9D8Vpk

wasteland into something worthwhile. That wasteland was wilderness.<div><br=
cal integrity. Old farms would be a better fit for a golf course.</div><div=